Alternative to Synology

Associate
I have a couple of Synology NAS units at different locations- one is a basic 2 disk while the other is a 5 disk with a further disk attachment. I am needing to expand the two disk to increase both storage and more importantly redundancy and have an unused mini itx with 8700k, 32 GB of ram and case big enough for many hdd.
I would like to use this if possible but any ideas on the o/s software that I could use to be as close to the synology software as possible- I will/might need to copy files from one location to another so need it to be KISS.
I dont really want to buy a new Synology unit to replace the 2 bay as the 2 bay doesnt accept additional storage and is limited to a max of 24TB I think- not quite there yet but would be if properly redundancy!
Thanks for any suggestions

Associate
OP
will do a deep dive on both to see what will be simpler for a JBOD setup- not needing the redundancy at all as pure copy of each seperate NAS

Soldato
Yup, TrueNAS or Unraid is the obvious choice but worth watching YT guides and reading tutorials before diving in.

And Xpenology is a bodge at best; if you want DSM (Synology's OS) and the Synology features, then just get another Synology as it'll save you the headaches.

Back
Top Bottom