AMD Vs Intel for CPU intensive tasks

Associate
I'm branching into the world of contracting in software development, and planning to purchase a laptop after the first couple of months (will be using my PC at first) and noticed the trend that Intel variants seems to be about £200 or so more expensive over their AMD counterparts. I know the desktop space is pretty close, but how's the laptop space for the two?

I'd be looking for some decent per-core as well as multi-core grunt as I'll be doing work that will rely heavily on both types of workload.

I've been looking at some Lenovo ThinkPad P14 models and specced an AMD one up for about £1,300, but the Intel variants is about £1,500.

Is one worth the pick over the other for sheer power, battery life etc? I'd tend to use the laptop to work on the go, I often meet up with friends/ex colleagues to catch up and work together out.

Soldato
AMD is generally considered a bit better for battery life. I suggest putting a selection of CPUs into the compare facility at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ to get some sort of idea of relative performance. Make sure you compare both R7 and R9 against i7 and i9 where available. I don't think the price premium for R9 over R7 is worth it but Intel may be different.

Another thing to consider is that AMD have had much better IGPU performance until the new Intel Ultra CPUs which have just about caught up.

Back
Top Bottom