Another shooting by US police

Soldato
US cops in Florida shoot an airman dead after reports of a domestic disturbance. He was having an argument on FaceTime with nobody else in the flat.

He does answer the door with a gun.

Officer badge cam footage here in the spoiler. Nothing actually happens until about 4:10. It’s blurred out so not too graphic.

One woman being called a Karen in the comments for directing the deputy to that particular apartment.

Soldato
That is a hard one to call tbh. The cop does identify himself and the guy answers the door with a gun in his hand.

You don't have a lot of time to make a decision in that situation, it only takes a split second for someone to raise a gun and shoot. He was standing next to the door because bullets do go through doors.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That is a hard one to call tbh. The cop does identify himself and the guy answers the door with a gun.

You don't have a lot of time to make a decision in that situation, it only takes a split second for someone to raise a gun and shoot.
You’re right but if you already have your gun drawn and pointing at the “suspect” they are not going to win.

Caporegime
I'm struggling to think why you would answer your door with a gun, especially when you know it's the police?

Was the gun just on the victim or was it in his hand?

Edit, nevermind it states in that article:

Fortson was seen holding a gun in his right hand as he opened the door. The deputy then fired multiple shots as soon as the door opened, telling him afterwards to drop the weapon.

Last edited:
Soldato
You’re right but if you already have your gun drawn and pointing at the “suspect” they are not going to win.

He didn't have his gun drawn though. He drew it after he saw the gun.

I'm struggling to think why you would answer your door with a gun, especially when you know it's the police?

Was the gun just on the victim or was it in his hand?

It's in his right hand.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That is a hard one to call tbh. The cop does identify himself and the guy answers the door with a gun in his hand.

You don't have a lot of time to make a decision in that situation, it only takes a split second for someone to raise a gun and shoot. He was standing next to the door because bullets do go through doors.

Anyone can shout "police" whilst knocking on a door though.

This is why doorbell cameras are useful.

Soldato
I'm struggling to think why you would answer your door with a gun,

It's America, it seems some of them do everything with a gun welded to their hand

especially when you know it's the police?

I guess he didn't actually know it was the police before he opened the door though

But yea, I struggle to raise an ounce of concern, if they want their guns so badly then they have to put up with consequences like this.

Soldato
OP
Anyone can shout "police" whilst knocking on a door though.

This is why doorbell cameras are useful.
I see a lot of advice saying if someone (in the US) claims to be the police to ring the dispatchers first to check. Then you wouldn’t need to bring a gun to the door.

Soldato
The officer shouts "Sheriff's office, open the door" several times, the last one just before he opens the door, so he should have heard it.

If we want to get into semantics about how anyone can shout that, fine, but he had a warning.

I didn't think it was semantics, people impersonating officials is a real thing (inc police officers), there was a story on the BBC just the other day about an incident over here on the motorway

Back
Top Bottom