Antec P180 Owners Thread

Associate
I thought it would be wise to start a thread for P180 owners so that users don't have to wade through seven pages of hype before the information.

Mine arrived today and my transplant is complete.
Before I post some pics, here are things that may be useful for others who are about to build in it:

Useful Tips

- Thumbscrews are not all the same size, the internal thumbscrews are low profile, the side panels will not fit on if you use the wrong ones inside.

- Use the correct motherboard screws, they are the small ones with a very plain head. I saw on another forum that someone fried their motherboard by using the wrong ones.

- Screws are behind the upper harddrive cage in an attached plastic box.

- Remember which side panel is which, they should not be put on the wrong way round as this may damage the case.

- I recommend not installing a floppy drive an using the bay to hide cables.

My thoughts
It is a very big case. It is taller and wider than my wavemaster, however I think it looks just as good. I feel the front door is a little flimsy, it is mostly plastic in construction with just a thin aluminium sheet covering, and the side grill that can fold to allow the door to open 270 degrees I was also worried about breaking, but it is still intact :).

The case is of a very good built quality, even the foam padding it came in, I thought was very high quality and useful to keep for transport. It is a very heavy case, definately not for regular moving. I am now less worried about it being stolen at uni next year as moving the fully installed computer at any speed is nigh on impossible.

As you would expect the case is also very quiet. I removed the (very very thick) 120mm fan from the bottom before even using the case, as I think this will only be needed with fanless psu's. The case really does cut out vibrations, and the gel mounts on the harddrives are very nice indeed, and of a very high quality. The fans three settings are very good. The low is very quiet, the high pushes LOTS of air, and the medium is a nice in-between.

Installation takes an age. Leave at least three hours. A lot of stuff needs moving to do a full install, and everything has to be done very carefully. However it is worth it. I found spare cables could be put in a spare drive bay and it doesn't look too untidy (removing the bottom fan and routing some cables up through the second hole through this gap helps).

A few little things I didn't like. I was unable to put my audigy in the bottom PCI slot as my power cables were in the way, not a very big problem. I was however very disappointed that on a £100 case designed for quietness, one of the fans supplied was rattling! I have now removed it and replaced it with the fan from the bottom. However I shall be contacting Antec about the matter.

PSU/Mobo Compatability
I will add to the list as other users post.

Confirmed
Enermax Noisetaker (specifically 485W) with Asus A8N nForce4 Premium (all A8N are same board layout though, so should work on all in the series)
ALl cables reach all connectors, including the P4 12V which should fit over any PCI cards and reach. I used an extender to make the routing more tidy by bringing it down to the right alongside the motherboard power connector. On a side night, a Thermalright XP120 also fits this configuration nicely.

Jeantech 500w psu and Asus A8N nForce4 Delux (all A8N are same board layout though, so should work on all in the series)
jonph said:
power leads reach with ease

Akasa Paxpower psu and Asus A8N-E - P4 12V lead too short
TMHatter said:
The 12 4pin was nowhere near long enough and I have had to use an extension cable

Images
Feel free to request an image of anything to do with the case, and I'll do my best to get one (by do my best I mean, if it involves dismatling much of my setup I will probably say no)
The empty case
p180_02.jpg

Fully installed system (sorry about the corruption, I think twain did something weird during the transfer)
p180_08.jpg

Case under my desk
p180_07.jpg

Lower harddrive caddy (holds 4 drives)
p180_06.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
MrCake said:
Got mine from OCUK today and I wont be transplanting a system to it until the weekend.

Initial thought:
Looks a lot sexier than I thought. Build quality looks good but as you say the front door feels a little flimsy. It might just be mine but im having problems with the side door. I have great difficulty removing the panel as it seems to catch at the bottom :( . I can see that it should just slide back and lift straight up but it just doesnt want to. It would have been nice if these lugs were metal as I cant see mine lasting that long!

More comments when I actually get to build the thing!
Yep the plastic lugs are very concerning. However they are plastic to reduce transmitting vibrations.

I found the best way to get the side of is:
- Undo screws/thumbscrews.
- Slide the panel backwards as far as it goes without any force.
- Tilt the top of the panel towards you, so that you can see the bottom lugs just come out of the holes
- Now remove the panel

There seems to be enough clearance to be able to tilt the panel in this manner without breaking the bottom lugs.

Associate
OP
Thats pretty sweet with the evo pointing towards the rear fan. What setting is your rear fan on? Looks like you removed the top one, have you covered the hole with anything? Also how is the fan in the bottom mounted? It not in the little fan holder thing.

One last thing, which akasa PSU is it, and which asus motherboard, any problems with cable length? (for the compatability section in the first post)

In other news Antec said they would replace my ticking fan which is good.

Associate
OP
Henfer which PSU and motherboard combination is it, and did all the cables fit ok?

Can anyone work out how to remove the fan filters? Even following the instructions I can't seem to do it!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
dunny87 said:
How many fans does the case come with ??

1 in the top
1 in the back
1 in lower section middle
1 in the front

and space for another 120 some were ? and a 80mm in the GFX duct thing ?

is it worth me buying any extra fans with it ?

Comes with one on the top, one on the back and one in the psu tunnel. There space for one at the front and one in the vga duct.

You won't neet to buy extras. Cooling is not a problem.

Associate
OP
Flanno said:
Am considering a P180. Really like the looks.

Just have 3 questions I was hoping one of you lucky oweners could answer me :

1. Is the graphics card ducting system rubbish like some reviews have said and will it fit an 80x80x25mm fan as I read somewhere it will only take a 20mm or less fan as standard 80mm interfere with some video cards.

2. Can you close the door fully with an Audigy4 front panel (5.25") and Akasa junior fan controller installed (3.5").

3. Do you think I would see much of a cooling improvement. My Eclipse is fitted out with 2xAcoutfan dustproof fans (55cfm) front and back, and the sidepanel is modded with aluminium mesh so that the 7800's dont choke. I have used a Zalman fanbracket to mount a 3rd 120mm Acoutsifan to feed the cards with cold air. Temps are according to asus proble - mobo idle 29, cpu 31, and gpus 42 each. Havnt seen cpu go over 50 yet when gaming and gpus stay in low 50's as well.

thx

1. I don't really know. I have the duct in but no fan.

2. Pass

3. I don't think you would see a cooling improvement over the eclipse, but you would probably have a quieter pc.

Associate
OP
I read somewhere that its quite easy to mount a fan within the duct, rather than on the outside, which then avoids interference worries.

Associate
OP
dunny87 said:
so you can lock the door and no one can go on your computer :)

a LAN it would be usefull
also maybe uni if you didnt want other people using it

The lock is very naff. You could probably break it open with a stiff pull, and without drawing much attention to yourself!

Associate
OP
fishsmell said:
The fan in the lower drive bay is too noisy (HELP: what's the best fan to replace this with?)

Remove it completely. Unless your HD's are generating a lot of heat or you have a fanless PSU, then the fans on your PSU should move enough air for itself and the harddrives. Thats how mine is anyway. But then I only have 2 HD's in the bottom.

Associate
OP
lowrider007 said:
right..., I recently transfered my components into my new p180 and have noticed my hardrive access light flashes once every secound perfectly, but I did not have this problem in my wavemaster case, now some people have sugggested that it is b-cos the led in the p180 is more sensitive, now just as a case of elemintation can anybody that has the p180 confirm to me if they have the same problem, thanks for any help.
Ive gone from a wavemaster to a p180 and I don't have that problem (and the reason suggested I dont think can be correct, because both cases just have LED's soldered to the wires!).

I would suggest checking the LED header is plugged in correctly to the motherboard. Also check that your HD isn't acctually seeking every 1s. Its possible it is if you are running some sort of logger or monitoring program.

Associate
OP
dunny87 said:
came to finishing off plugging cables in and i found it has 2x HD.LED connectors but only pins to connect one. does it matter which or is there some were else i can plug it in ?
Nope it doesn't matter. There are 2 seperate HD connectors on the front. You can plug the other LED into something else but only if it fits and it will work. I cannot think of anything else that it would fit on and its probably best not to experiment incase you shortout your motherboard!

Associate
OP
lowrider007 said:
ahhhhhhhhhh,, Finally after 2 system re-builds, 1 reformat, and a hell of allot of stress I have sovled my flashing hardrive led problem, (I even dragged my old wavemaster over to my p180 and bridged the wavemasters led across), anyhow, the problem was my aopen cdrw, as soon as I unplugged the drive my hd led on my p180 case stopped flashing, god knows how this was making my my hd led flash i'll never know, so just in case anybody else ever has the same problem it could be one of your optical drives, thanks for advice tho.

Lol, now thats weird!

Associate
OP
Flanno said:
Anyone know if the 12v cable on an Enermax 600w sli psu will reach the 12v connector on the top of an asus a8n preium mobo in this case. According to the reviews I have read the enermax cable is 21" long, and the latest enermax's even have a little adaptor for the 12v (8pin to 4pin) which adds a few inches.

It should do, because the 600W is pretty much the same as my 485W (except for 2x PCI-E leads) and the 12V fits on my A8N premium. However I am using an extender to make the cabling neater. The line will probably route over the top of your PCI and PCI-E slots otherwise, which could be a pain for upgrading stuff.

Associate
OP
My ticking fan has now been replaced. I must say I am VERY IMPRESSED with the Antec support. The webnotes system was very easy to use and the people on the other end were very helpful. The new fan has arrived within 2 weeks and was shipped from the US! And of course it works fine. I think the mark of a really good company is how well they deal with situations were the customer has had trouble with a product.

Associate
OP
Speed said:
Care to elaborate on that? As far as I can see the panels are identical so I'm wondering if you are basing that on experience with your case or something you read.

It's pretty easy to see which is which though; just look for the screw markings in the middle slot, which ever panel has the markings is the panel that doesn't use the thumbscrews (i.e the panel that doesn't allow access to the main internal sections, rear panel I call it.)
I can't remember now, I just remember putting the wrong one on the wrong side, and it wouldn't quite go. So I picked up the correct panel and it slotted in much easier.

Back
Top Bottom