• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anybody bought a PoV GTX465 recently?

Associate
Hi

I'm looking for some info on the point of view 465 in particular. What i want to know is how many memory chips are on the card?

The reason i ask is that after doing some research, it seems that 3 models of GTX465's were unlockable to the full GTX470. These were the PNY model with a black PCB, the limited addition MSI Golden Sample and the Point of View card.

All these cards originally shipped with 10 memory chips total, even though the 465 only uses 8. I know since then that the PNY model is now shipping with a blue PCB featuring 8 memory chips but i cant find any info at all on the PoV model and if it was updated or not.

If anybody has bought one recently from OcUk i'd appriciate it if you could have a look and let me know. Should look like this

gtx465_pcb1.jpg

You can clearly see the 10 black memory chips around the core.

Associate
OP
Well i took the gamble and ordered one. Arrived earlier today and i have just striped it naked to reveal this.

2w3q0du.jpg

Yep, thats 10 memory chips and a GF100-275 core. Identical to the 470! Going to reassemble it now and see if i can flash it. Fingers crossed :D

Associate
OP
It worked perfectly :D Had an issue with the flashing but got it to work eventually.

Just ran 3Dmark Vantage on performance mode and my GPU score went from 8100 to 14901! :eek:

Well chuffed :)

Associate
OP
Hi mate,

Do you have a link to the BIOS you used.

Also did you follow the normal guide of using nv flash?

I used the bios from the unlock pack in this thread

If anybody does want to try this, i strongly recomend that you make a backup of the cards original bios first. Heres how.

Download GPU-z and Nibitor

Open up GPU-z and click the little icon with the green arrow next to your bios version. Click save to file and call it GTX465. This will save it as a bin file but nvflash can only read rom files so open Nibitor and load the gtx465 bin file you just created. Then click save BIOS and make sure you save it as a rom file. Copy the gtx465.rom file over to your memory stick along with the 470 bios just in case.

Also make sure that the only card in your system is the card you want to flash. I made the mistake of leaving my physx card in and nvflash let me erase the EEPROM of the 465 but would not let me flash a new bios onto the card! If this happens to you don't panic. Restart your PC with only the 465 in. (you will have no display at this point as the card has no bios) Wait for your PC to boot to the memory stick and then type:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y gtx470.rom

Or if you went through the flashing process previously and you card did not unlock:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y gtx465.rom

This will tell nvflash to force flash the bios with no user input and then reboot. So just sit back and wait for your PC to reboot and you should have display again and either a nice 470 or your original 465 undamaged :D

Associate
OP
Good luck owen! Let us know how you get on with it.

I'm tempted to get another for SLI but i've found that this card alone is way too loud for my tastes and it gets up to 92 degrees when playing mafia II!

Associate
OP
Yeah, I am going to need it lol. I have everything downloaded (including backups) and ready to go.

I was tempted by SLI myself as well but my monitor is only running 1680x1050 and tbh it would be overkill.

Quick question Jeps, did you use the bios file that came with the unlock pack (on the overclockers.net link)? It your card stable with it? (I have read a couple people having to tweak the voltages a bit to get it stable and others have found a different 470 bios is better.

Yes i used the bios from that unlock pack. Worked fine for me and i havent had any issue with stability at stock clocks/voltages. Obviously thats no garuntee that you wont run into issues though.

Most time consuming part for me was trying to find a guide that told me how to make the USB stick bootable. I had to use a HP tool to do it but i cant remember where I found the guide.

Associate
OP
congratz mate any chance you can try doing a few benchies, mines hanging while becnhing vantage, furmark or trying to play MW2, i used driver sweeper and cleared all the remains of ATI but no joy :(

Its probably one of the cores that is slightly unstable with the extra SPU's enabled. I'd suggest trying each card seperatly to determin which one is causing the issue. Then up the voltage a bit on the problem card using MSI afterburner and see if that helps.

Remeber the 465's probably come from the worst batches of GF100 chip with the best being saved for the 480's.

Associate
OP
Try either clocking the memory back down to GTX465 clocks or upping the core voltage one notch. I have read that this solves a few problems for other people.

Also reading the overclockers.net thread there are a couple people suggesting using a different GTX470 bios (as the one on the POV card is different than the original card used to create the unlock pack).

As for my card, its perfectly stable running Mafia II and Just Cause 2 (benchmarking and games). Just Cause is randomly dropping back to the desktop (but still running), it did this with my GTX460 so I think its a driver issue rather than a card issue.

EDIT: My card also idles in the mid 40's with a custom fan profile (using MSI afterburner). This is in a Fractal Design Define R2 with manually controlled case fans @ ~ medium.

Do you have a link to this other bios? For some reason my card does not work in slot 2 if i put my physx card in slot 1 :confused:

It works fine in slot 2 on its own but as soon as my other card goes in, i get no display until i plug the monitor into card 1 and then 470 isnt even detected in windows. Works fine the other way aound though but airflow isnt great. Wondering if its the bios?

Associate
OP
yeah voltage up a little gets it through, im gonna try the POV bios now, does anybody know if nvflash works leaving the 2 cards in at once? or do i need to remove one flash that then swap?

Remove one first! I tried to flash with 2 cards in and nvflash let me erase the eeprom but would not let me flash the card. So i had to boot with just the biosless card in and flash it blind as there was no display. Worked luckily.

I found the PoV bios here

Its a bin file so you will need to load it with nibitor and then save it as a rom file so nvflash can use it. Mines running using it now so its safe :)

Associate
OP
I can also report that my card is running at 700/1400 at stock voltage without issue. Havent tried upping the memory yet but i'm seeing a nice performance increase. Not sure if i'll keep this high though as my temps are peaking at 93 degrees with the stock fan profile. Could up the fan but its already too loud for my tastes lol.

I just hope somebody gets some stock of the gelid icy vision soon!

Back
Top Bottom