Anyone good at DIY and can advise?

Soldato
If its out of view I would go get a couple of off cuts of 12mm ply, each the same size but 60mm bigger than the unit. Buy 4No. M4 bolts/nuts/washers (bolts 24mm + unit depth + 15mm).

Drill both sheets in the corners and countersink 4 holes on one side of one panel. Drop the bolts in amd using some small woodscrews fix it the top particle board of the cupboard, careful on screw length if tank is above.

Slot the bottom ply on and sandwich the mounted unit between the 2 ply sheets, washers and nuts on, tighten it up.

The above assumes no vent grills on the unit you're mounting.

Soldato
Problem with shelf brackets is they need something decent to fix to. If that's a cupboard unit its quite likely that the back panel is 3mm hardboard.

Soldato
Problem with shelf brackets is they need something decent to fix to. If that's a cupboard unit its quite likely that the back panel is 3mm hardboard.

It's a fish tank support cupboard... not a chance

and you can see the thickness in the picture anyway ;)

Soldato
Would you trust some sticky velcro to hold an electrical appliance above a tank full of water.... I wouldn't.

Depending on the size of the tank (and it looks pretty large) there will be about half a ton of water on top of that cupboard.

Associate
Rip some ply the same width as the unit, sand it, paint or leave it if your not fussy. This kind of shape here and fix it to the underside of the cabinet. As long as your diy skills are better than my paint skills you should be fine.

fish-1.jpg

Soldato
I made this for mine out of some acrylic sheet and a heat gun.

photo%204_4.JPG

IMG_0276_1.JPG

Still not dosing yet as I only have a few small coral frags so water change is enough.

Soldato
A very easy way would be to just drill a hole in each corner of a piece of wood and use four 4" wood screws (or whatever length screw to give you the right depth)

tankshelf.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom