Apostrophes Not Handled when Adding to Database using C#

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have some old C# code that I wrote that adds data into a MariaDB using the MySql.Data.MySqlClient namespace.

The problem is I can't add text containing apostrophes into the database properly. I know this is a classic problem, but I can't remember how to fix it, apart from using stored procedures instead, which looks a bit complicated, especially when using MariaDB.

Anyway, my code, and in particular the SQL insert statement, is:

Code:
 try {

// Open database connection

// Technique is passing the connection string to the constructor of the MySqlConnection class
            // Note you have to import the MySql.Data.MySqlClient namespace to be able to use this
            MySqlConnection conn = new MySqlConnection(connStr);
            conn.Open();

// For testing
            // lblMyTestLabel.Text = "Connection Opened!";

// Get values from web form

String BrandName = txtBrandName.Text;
            String BrandDesc = txtBrandDesc.Text;
            String BrandUrl = txtBrandUrl.Text;
            String BrandPage = txtBrandPage.Text;

// Add the brand

String SqlInsert = "INSERT into brands (BrandName, BrandDesc, BrandUrl, BrandPage) VALUES ('" + BrandName + "', '" + BrandDesc + "', '" + BrandUrl + "', '" + BrandPage + "')";

// Create a command to run against the database
            MySqlCommand cmd = new MySqlCommand(SqlInsert);
            // Specify the CommandType for the connection, in this case it's text from a string, not a stored procedure
            cmd.CommandType = System.Data.CommandType.Text;
            // Give the MySQLCommand a connection to use
            cmd.Connection = conn;

// Execute the non query
            cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();

// Close the connection
            conn.Close();

// Hide the form

formBrandAdd.Visible = false;

// Confirm done

lblUserMessage.Text = "Brand added! <a href='brand-add.aspx'>Add another</a>";
            lblUserMessage.BackColor = System.Drawing.Color.LightGreen;

//For testing
            // lblMyTestLabel.Text = "Yes, that's completed! <a href='brand-add.aspx'>Add another brand</a>";
            // lblMyTestLabel.BackColor = System.Drawing.Color.LightGreen;

}

What do I need to do to be able to handle apostrophes added in the text fields?

Any suggestions or links to code examples appreciated.

Thanks

Man of Honour
String literals?

Middle of the document:

Personally I hate C# so a bit leery of giving anything too specific in case there are things I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is the line that is the problem:

Code:
String SqlInsert = "INSERT into brands (BrandName, BrandDesc, BrandUrl, BrandPage) VALUES ('" + BrandName + "', '" + BrandDesc + "', '" + BrandUrl + "', '" + BrandPage + "')";

The problem is happening because I am using ' around the variable values. Before I try anything else, is there a simple amend to this line that would make it work? I know this is a classic problem.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
If I used a prepared statement, would this be the way to get the variables from the form data into it?

Code:
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@BrandName", BrandName);

Caporegime
Before I try anything else, is there a simple amend to this line that would make it work? I know this is a classic problem.

No.

You want to do this (untested so I might typo):

C#:
MySqlCommand cmd = new MySqlCommand();

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT into brands (BrandName, BrandDesc, BrandUrl, BrandPage) VALUES (@BrandName, @BrandDesc, @BrandUrl, @BrandPage)";
cmd.Prepare();

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@BrandName", BrandName);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@BrandDesc", BrandDesc);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@BrandUrl", BrandUrl);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@BrandPage", BrandPage);

cmd.

For some reason the board software won't let me write ExecuteNonQuery(); in the code block.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm getting there, essentially that has worked, thanks, I just had to add a NULL in as well (something to do with id autoincrement I expect):

Code:
cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO brands VALUES(NULL, @BrandName, @BrandDesc, @BrandUrl, @BrandPage)";

Soldato
OP
The example I was following was slightly different, so I've just checked, and your line worked too, so thanks:

Code:
cmd.CommandText = "INSERT into brands (BrandName, BrandDesc, BrandUrl, BrandPage) VALUES (@BrandName, @BrandDesc, @BrandUrl, @BrandPage)";

Caporegime
The example I was following was slightly different, so I've just checked, and your line worked too, so thanks:

Yeah, your first version inserts into all the values in the order they're specified in the table. The one I used just copied how you were doing it in the first pace by inserting into only a selection of values and in a specified order.

Soldato
OP
OK, next question is how do I write a prepared statement for an UPDATE? I have made a guess, which is probably wrong:

Code:
cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE brands SET (BrandName, BrandDesc, BrandUrl, BrandPage) VALUES (@BrandName, @BrandDesc, @BrandUrl, @BrandPage) WHERE BrandId = (@BrandId2)";

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
You write it exactly how you would write the sql statement that you want but with @whatever substituting for each value and without any quotes around the values. You don't change the structure of the query at all, so your SQL needs to look like:

Code:
UPDATE brands SET BrandName=@BrandName, BrandDesc=@BrandDesc, ... etc ... WHERE BrandId=@BrandId

Just like a normal update.

Back
Top Bottom