Are we there yet?

Man of Honour
I have to say after owning a Reverb G2 for sim racing and actually prefering my triple screens due to the blurriness outside the sweet spot i was dubious about buying another VR headset but....

Damn the Quest 3, I feel like we are finally in a place where the 14 year old me dreamed about in VR! I've been sitting here for a few days just watching replays of my old races in Assetto Corsa in OpenVR @ a resolution of about 4.5k from a 4090 with the encode rate of 500Mbps over the link cable it's actually astonishing how good it looks

which is good in a way but bad that it's peaked my interest in the highend headsets (Crystal, Aero etc) can they really be any better? and why oh why can i not be happy lol

I see Varjo have some news coming on the 27th I'm excited for VR again

do you think we are there yet? it's only going to get better right?

Man of Honour
OP
The Crystal has put me right back to where I was when I got my Reverb Pro around 2019 with my 2080ti. The Reverb sort of ran ok with the 2080ti but didn't reach its full potential until I got my 4090 which allowed maximum settings with some super-sampling thrown in.
The Crystal, even with its weirdness, is something else when it comes down to detail. HL:Alyx anti-grav glove is a thing of marvel to look at.

My Crystals 30 day Amazon return window ends tomorrow so I put my Reverb G2v2 back on to see if I could go back to it. I tried a quick game of Elite Dangerous and Skyrim. I spent about 10 minutes wondering how I thought this headsets resolution was ok. The Crystal is so far ahead of the Reverb, even with super-sampling , that I felt like I was going back to a PSVR1.

I wonder how the crystal compares to the quest 3 now! anyone got both?

Man of Honour
OP
afaik @Zeeflyboy boy has. I've owned a Varjo Aero (£2k when i bought it) and a Quest 3, if I could only have 1 of them right now it'd be the Quest without a shadow of doubt.

Due to how good the Quest 3 I’m tempted to invest in an Aero or a Crystal but due to their age I’m not sure if it’d be a real upgrade from the Quest 3 maybe I’ll wait for the next gen like the Deckard

Man of Honour
OP
Yes the Quest 3 for it's price is on another level! i've got an Varjo Aero too and the Quest 3 isn't a million miles away from it's quality

and im with you on the retiring part! it's amazing how far games have come really in such a short space

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Just dipping into the thread to ask:

I had an Oculus Rift that I bought in 2017 and I sold it on due to the resolution which I just couldn't enjoy. Have things improved a lot? If I bought another headset then I think I'd be looking to play racing Sims, MS Flight SIM and probably Skyrim as I'll never fall out of love with Skyrim :)

Anyway, I have a 5900x / 7900XT based system and was wondering if it was worth picking up a new headset for another go. Is it really improved that much, and is my system up to it?
imo yes and yes the Quest 3 is leagues ahead of even a Q2 but for racers it still has slight compression if you up the bit rate compared to a rift though it's miles and miles better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom