"Asda Magic"

Soldato
So I decided to apply for the only available job at Asda in Greater Manchester, and about 2 hours later I got an email back saying I was invited to the "Asda Magic" assessment center, which is at the store I will be working at if I happen to get the job.

two questions:

1: Does anyone know exactly what goes on when at this assessment?
2: I applied for a job as "grocery colleague" that was £6.28 per hour for 16 hours a week, but does anyone know if I'd be able to get more hours if I happen to get the job? Or change to full time? On the schedule for the assessment it said "shop floor assistant", so apparently not just "grocery colleague".

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I work in retail. I'm contracted 16 hours per week, I actually work over 50 hours per week (paid). That's how retail works.

That's good news for me then, well sort of.

I'm going to bet it's one of those wonderful group interviews!

What is these interviews you speak of?

I hope I get offered the job, if not I might as well go and buy a dummy and go back to play school.

Soldato
OP
My girlfriend just got employed by asda and did this the other week. She said it comprised of discussion in a group, you had to talk to the person on your left about yourself and they would then talk to the group about you. They show you around the store and various jobs available.

So basically they may talk about anything from their hobbies, experience, what sort of person they are, random stuff etc... then you just got to remember it and regurgitate it?

Soldato
OP
Don't think you're above it, or a shoe-in for the job. The fact you have a degree doesn't put you head and shoulders above the proles, if that's what you think.

I don't think I'm above it, but I would eventually like a job that makes use of the degree, because at the end of the day a degree costs a lot of money, although one thing someone told me, "people do these degrees, but they never got taught the real skills of life", it's probably true.

I have never had a real paid job, I've got a voluntary position "up to 25 hours per week" on my CV from 2010 to present relating to my cycle coaching, and if that is not accepted as any form of work experience by a company I am not in a good position.

Although I notice the Asda application form does not actually ask for any qualifications at all.

I'm going to apply at Marks and Sparks next week when the vacancies come up for shelve stacker, in the mean time I've applied for a HR related job at Marks and Sparks at Salford Quays. Not expecting anything from it but if I at least get an interview then I'll be surprised and it'll be a bonus.

Soldato
OP
Should I wear a polo shirt and smart trousers/shoes for the interview? It says that I'll be doing practical tasks and on the shop floor so dress appropriately, they say smart casual, so would dark blue polo shirt be ok?

Soldato
OP
At my ASDA interview, I was the only one in a shirt and tie. I was the only one they employed.

You won't be doing anything that strenuous, more than likely it'll just be a wonder around. You won't be trained to do most of the jobs.

They did say smart casual though?

As the selection event is practical, please dress appropriately for the event, something smart but casual would be perfect (no trainers please). You want to make the right impression but obviously you’ll be getting involved on the shop floor so nothing too formal.

Back
Top Bottom