ASUS Router help

Associate
Hi all

I have been with sky for some years now.the kids are older and all hogging the internet when downloading lol.so i am now looking in to getting a router that has bandwidth limit features/QoS etc
Skys router is useless in this instance due to lack of any features. What i am wondering is,the below router,is it compatible with sky FTTC?.is it VDSL/ADSL etc
i don't want to order and find out for some reason it won't work as i know skys service can be janky with some routers for some reason.would OCUK allow returns if i can't get connectivity.

Issues are mostly around when the little ones download on steam etc as steam loves to use the whole line or on roblox which seems to download massive amounts of data during game play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ronson12 said:
Asus Router help

Step 1: Put Asus router in the bin.
Step 2: Set bin on fire.
Problem solved. Easy!

dumpster-fire-gif-30.gif

What service do you actually have on Sky? Gigabit? Less? Do you need WiFi integrated or just a router? What devices are you connecting, and how? Something running OpenWrt, some of the Ubiquiti kit, some higher end TP-Link stuff, Mikrotik, etc will all do you fine. Doing SQM (queue management/QoS) at gigabit is a challenge for anything but x86 (i.e. a small form factor PC running router software) but you may only need to manage the upstream. Are you actually seeing problems in real life, or just envisioning them?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Step 1: Put Asus router in the bin.
Step 2: Set bin on fire.
Problem solved. Easy!

dumpster-fire-gif-30.gif

What service do you actually have on Sky? Gigabit? Less? Do you need WiFi integrated or just a router? What devices are you connecting, and how? Something running OpenWrt, some of the Ubiquiti kit, some higher end TP-Link stuff, Mikrotik, etc will all do you fine. Doing SQM (queue management/QoS) at gigabit is a challenge for anything but x86 (i.e. a small form factor PC running router software) but you may only need to manage the upstream. Are you actually seeing problems in real life, or just envisioning them?
thanks for the reply

Currently on sky FTTC 50mbs. 4 PC's in the house,3 PS5's,1 xbox series x and like 10 phones pads, etc maybe? ring door bell. all pc's connected via Lan,everything else wireless. £150 budget for a router.

Issues only arise with someone downloads a game for example. their machine will use the whole line then i get 20 second freezes in path of exiles. PCs and xbox are the worst culprits are they are very efficient at downloading with PS5 with doesn't use the full line.

Soldato
thanks for the reply

Currently on sky FTTC 50mbs. 4 PC's in the house,3 PS5's,1 xbox series x and like 10 phones pads, etc maybe? ring door bell. all pc's connected via Lan,everything else wireless. £150 budget for a router.

Issues only arise with someone downloads a game for example. their machine will use the whole line then i get 20 second freezes in path of exiles. PCs and xbox are the worst culprits are they are very efficient at downloading with PS5 with doesn't use the full line.
Sorry, I misread your OP as FTTP. Much easier, then. Almost any router with QoS should do what you need. I'll PM you.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with Asus. However, I would choose one that is listed on this page...

This guy produces Asus approved "bug-fixed" versions of the firmware.

You will see that the AX82U is not on there.

Asus also 'approved' shipping defective and vulnerable firmware for years, and didn't stop until they were legally compelled to do so and placed under regulatory supervision for 20 years... so that doesn't say much.

Soldato
Yeah, yeah, we get it, you don't like Asus.
Well, no. I don't recommend Asus for the poor quality, **** poor attitude to customers and the lackadaisical security. You replied there's 'nothing wrong with Asus'. My reply proves that there clearly is, and the legal and software logs are there to prove it. It's nothing to do with having a grudge or not 'liking' a company, but rather when someone recommends Asus hardware and says there's 'nothing wrong' with them, well that's demonstrably false.

Soldato
Well, no. I don't recommend Asus for the poor quality, **** poor attitude to customers and the lackadaisical security. You replied there's 'nothing wrong with Asus'. My reply proves that there clearly is, and the legal and software logs are there to prove it. It's nothing to do with having a grudge or not 'liking' a company, but rather when someone recommends Asus hardware and says there's 'nothing wrong' with them, well that's demonstrably false.

I am not sure why you are getting so wound up about it, though. You are, after-all, one opinion in a sea of opinions. There are plenty of people who think they are just fine. Me for one, I have been using Asus for many, many years and never had an issue with them. I am not going to get excited about it though, because I am just one person.

Last edited:
Associate
Recommendation gets slightly harder because of FTTC. You will need a separate modem.

Honestly thinking about it... could be a stretch and require some reading on your end but a £30 Plusnet Hub one OpenWRT flashed router could do everything you need. Has the integrated modem and will do SQM/QoS via fq_codel at your line rate plus allowing just enough to handle wireless clients. For £30 or so it's worth looking into. Here's the page: https://openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a

The guide is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c8cqmpc6...-OpenWrt-LEDE+Installation+Guide+for+HH5A.pdf

I know it's big but most you wouldn't need. You would just have to read section 7.5 for connecting and SQM setup in section 9.13

It is pretty low in power but I guess you will be close to getting FTTP soon anyway. I would recommend the GL-MT6000. Currently £127 but you would have to get a separate modem like a Draytek Vigor 130.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am not sure why you are getting so wound up about it, though. You are, after-all, one opinion in a sea of opinions. There are plenty of people who think they are just fine. Me for one, I have been using Asus for many, many years and never had an issue with them. I am not going to get excited about it though, because I am just one person.
I'm neither wound up nor excited. I just prefer objective facts and years of data to subjective opinions and small sample sizes. I've never had a car stolen, but I still lock it. If BMW or whomever were found to have been knowingly selling cars with defective locks, and/or providing the codes to organised crime, I wouldn't keep throwing money at them because *mine* was never individually affected. I'd take my business to a company who actually gave a stuff about their paying customers. Alas, we're off topic now. Have a good one mate.

Man of Honour
It's simple, you stated: 'nothing wrong with Asus', when there's clear and indisputable evidence to the contrary.

Soldato
It's simple, you stated: 'nothing wrong with Asus', when there's clear and indisputable evidence to the contrary.

Oh rubbish. There are plenty of people who think they are just fine. Otherwise Asus wouldn't sell any. Last I checked they are still very popular. You are entitled to your opinion, and I am sure you can back it up with evidence, but my experience, and that of many other people, says they are just fine. If you don't like them, then don't buy them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh rubbish. There are plenty of people who think they are just fine. Otherwise Asus wouldn't sell any. Last I checked they are still very popular. You are entitled to your opinion, and I am sure you can back it up with evidence, but my experience, and that of many other people, says they are just fine. If you don't like them, then don't buy them.
Millions of people smoked, it doesn't make it a good idea. The point here is that choosing a product because you don't know better is one thing. Still choosing it knowing the company behind it has a horrible history of poor device build quality, woeful support and outright lies on this very forum from its official reps, failed to patch security issues for years leaving user data exposed to anyone who cared to look, and did so until its biggest US distributor refused to continue to carry its products and then it was prosecuted, fined, forced to agree and pay for external auditing for decades, then got caught faking its FCC test data is you trying to defend a stupid choice.

You can do better.

Back
Top Bottom