asus s-presso

Associate
been looking at one of these for a small multimedia centre p4 3 gig northwood i got lying around how good is the power supply on these would it run a geforce 6800 gt many thanks

Soldato
I've got one but I only run a 6200, so can't be of much help on that front, sorry.

As for if they are anygood? Well I've not had mine set up for too long but I haven't had any problems so far. I'm using quite a basic spec (2.6 GHz Celeron D, 128mb 6200, 512mb PC3200 RAM) as its simply to play divx and mp3's.

My only disappointment is with the onboard graphics. It all works fine until I boot into the OS at which point my LCD TV says "out of range" so the signal must be quite weak. Hence the reason I am using the 6200 but when using an AGP card the instant on features don't work so to watch a DVD I still have to boot into XP, not a huge problem though.

I've got the one with the remote, and LED touch screen display which is pretty cool tbh BUT the display will only work if your using the ASUS Home Theatre software. Not a problem as I like the software. I've got it opening on start-up so I boot into a nice media centre type front end :D

The model without all the fancy gubbins is one hell of a bargain though and if your not planning on using the ASUS software might be a better bet.

EDIT- Didn't notice the date on your post :eek: this is quite a slow moving forum :D I don't know if the weekly special is starting or finishing tonight? Either way they are currently available at £5 off for the full fancy gubbins one or a massive £12 off the plain one (Damn thats a bargain, almost makes me want to buy another and get rid of this monster)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm probably not the best person to ask as my thoughts on cooling are as long as its running at a temperature that doesn't impede performance or cause premature failure i'm happy.

I have the ASUS Q-Fan enabled which was a bit un-nerving at first as it starts with both system and CPU fans off, as the temps rise the fans start. The front pannel temp display sits in the green with the fans at a level that I can't hear at all so i'm happy enough with that but I thinks it equates to a CPU temp of about 50'C although that is with the CPU fan barely spinning. CPU heat is dumped straight out of the side of the case which is a good bit of design. Personally I wouldn't let my temps put you off, controlling the CPU HS fan yourself via a speed reduction cable or fan speed adjuster/resistor would probably allow you to get temps down whilst still keeping it quiet via a bit of trial and error.

The system fans are 2 60mm Deltas so if your going to be putting a hot GFX card in there these might have to spin up a bit more to get rid of the heat.

When I first switched it on the Q-Fan was disabled and it sounded like a jet with all fans at full chat so that isn't really an option.

Back
Top Bottom