ATX 3.0 PSU for 4090 and future cpus

Soldato
Hi all,

I'll be building a new PC next year, and I'll be wanting to pair my 4090 with one of the next gen cpus that will release next year. Do you guys think a 1000w will be enough or should I go for something with a bit more power?

Man of Honour
If you're buying a CPU with the equivalent power draw of a 14900K (or plan to overclock one), then yeah, 1200 isn't a bad idea for the headroom. It is less important if you're only gaming.

The X3D CPUs have very modest power usage, but how the next gen will be, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Which 1200W PSU would people recommend? I'm looking to spend around £250.
hwbusters have a review of the Vertex GX and PF3, but it appears the Vertex is quieter and it now has a longer warranty, since Seasonic extended it to 12.

Their review of the new RMx 1200 (Shift) also looked decent, but side mounted cables can be a compatibility issue.

Soldato
I have a Vertex GX 1200 as well, it’s very good. Also has a 12 year warranty. The only annoying thing is that there has subsequently been an updated to the 12 pin cable but I don’t think any manufacturer has got round to implementing it yet (I might be wrong).

Soldato
I have a Vertex GX 1200 as well, it’s very good. Also has a 12 year warranty. The only annoying thing is that there has subsequently been an updated to the 12 pin cable but I don’t think any manufacturer has got round to implementing it yet (I might be wrong).

I think that's part of the ATX 3.1 spec, according to this article....

IIRC there is an MSI (?) one that offers a new plug for the 12 pin cable. Not that it is 3.1 compliant

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh for gods sake haha. Honestly this is the most ridiculous situation I’ve ever seen with power supply specifications EVER in the history of PC’s.

Oops, obviously I mean 3.1 spec........................but who knows :D

Yup, if you read that article it gives an impression that 3.1 seems a little at odds with the 3.0 spec, in terms of transient spikes.
Kinda glad that I do not need a PSU as yet.

Could be worse, Intel might try and push the BTX std again, lol.

Back
Top Bottom