Audeze Maxwell Setup

Associate
Hey clever folk!

I’m about to click purchase on a pair of Maxwells for the PC.
I mainly play FPS games like Warzone, but also a bit of everything.

Just looking for tips to get the most out of them!

Does the Dolby software help? Does footsteps EQ make everything else sound bland? I’m not competitive so would rather not spoil quality for a small footstep advantage.

Change any settings on onboard sound card? I’m running a MSI Z690 Tomahawk.

Any tips and tricks would be really appreciated!

Associate
You're presumably not going to be using your sound card for anything. The headphones have onboard amplification; and the sound output device will itself be the Audezee USB dongle; not the sound card. Therefore, all adjustment is in the Audezee software.

Main thing to watch out for is planar crinkle. Don't put any pressure on the ear cups in-use; and when you're taking them off, do so *slowly*. The drivers deteriorate as a result in changes in air pressure (yes, I'm serious). I'm getting a pair shortly, but I kind of regret my purchase on that basis. A lot of people are having to return their sets after 2-3 months' normal use; either from the dreaded tin-foil sound (which is apparently "normal") or from the left or right driver simply ceasing to work.

My understanding is that most planar magnetic headphones from Audezee are open-backed and this alleviates the issues somewhat; but the closed-back nature of the Maxwells makes them especially prone to these issues:

They even have a page about the issue:

It's a shame, as it's the only good sounding wireless gaming headset.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks v much for the info, yes I forgot it was USB, silly me thinking about 3.5mm jack when they are wireless etc.

Oh no this sounds bad?!

Do you think I should hold off and get some Arctic Nova Pro then?

Associate
Thanks v much for the info, yes I forgot it was USB, silly me thinking about 3.5mm jack when they are wireless etc.

Oh no this sounds bad?!

Do you think I should hold off and get some Arctic Nova Pro then?
I'm not sure I'd want to downgrade to the Nova Pro; though from the user reviews, it's certainly a competent option. I was originally after something a bit more audiophile; but high-end options like the Focal Bathys didn't seem to work well (Bluetooth rather than Wifi, etc); and I wasn't willing to go wired. The Maxwells are the closest thing to a wireless gaming headset that actually sounds good.

On that basis, might be worth risking it; we have the Consumer Rights Act and so forth, so it should be easy (in theory) to return to the retailer if they develop a fault.

Associate
OP
John what games do you play, what settings do I need to know haha!

I’ve ordered today, PS version for PC. Mainly Warzone for me!!! Not read anywhere that Dolby Atmos is a game changer?! So not required?!

Associate
I like my Maxwells but don't think they excel at FPS games - find other headphones I have (mainly open backed) better for that (actually preferred an Eq'd Turtle beach Stealth Pro for FPS games). When I do use these, I find the Competition and Footstep eqs to affect the overall sound quality too much so I just use a custom eq, reducing the bass a little more and also dropping the area where the Maxwells sound a bit shouty to me - have to experiment with this but for me its the 4k and 8k regions that I adjust to help. Nothing major but I find it helps.

Associate
For those who own the Maxwells, how are you managing the weight?

I knew from reviews these are considered heavy, but the supporting strap is more uncomfortable than I was expecting as it doesnt seem to distribute the weight well. Im thinking of buying an aftermarket foam/cushion thingy to see if it helps.

Associate
I just got a set of Maxwells, Xbox version, and just setting them up initial thoughts are the sound is amazing, I have Dt990s and the sound is great but different not as much high end but I like that. I had the penrose and knew these would be great. Just testing EQ\Dolby etc, not had enough time to test the weight but been using them for about an hour and I can't see what all the talk about weight is, for me they feel great

Associate
Ok so very impressed with these and shocked in some ways at the improvement in sound. I tried my DT990 stereo direct through my AE5, and with dolby enabled, and tested on a few games, tried CSGO2 and it was great as usual. I then tried the Maxwell and went with the Audeze profile and Dolby enable, I had it in movie mode as I forgot to change it, and it was even better, I could literally hear all footsteps and movement etc and was able to instantly just turn and shoot knowing where someone was. I am now not totally terrible now :D

Tried a few other games and movies again with the settings above and all amazing, the reviews around about these are correct. The weight I don't see as any issue for me, several hours and not felt the need to remove them, bit loose on the head and if I tighten one side it seems too tight so mor granular adjustment would have been nice

Back
Top Bottom