Azhar Ahmed

Soldato
"Teenager charged over comment on Afghanistan troops"

A teenager will appear in court after allegedly making comments on Facebook about the deaths of six soldiers in Afghanistan last week, police said.
Azhar Ahmed, 19, according to West Yorkshire Police, posted the comments on his profile page and has been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence, according to West Yorkshire Police.
A police spokesman said Ahmed, of Fir Avenue, Ravensthorpe, West Yorkshire, was bemoaning the level of attention the British soldiers who died in a bomb blast last week received compared to Afghan civilians who have died in the war.
The spokesman said: "He didn't make his point very well and that is why he has landed himself in bother."
Ahmed will appear at Dewsbury Magistrates' court on March 20.
He was arrested on Friday and charged over the weekend. He has been bailed to an address outside the county.
Last week, six men were killed in the deadliest single attack on British forces in Afghanistan since 2001.
The soldiers who died - five of them aged between 19 and 21 - died when their Warrior armoured vehicle was blown up by a massive improvised explosive device (IED).
Sergeant Nigel Coupe, 33, of 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment was killed alongside Corporal Jake Hartley, 20, Private Anthony Frampton, 20, Private Christopher Kershaw, 19, Private Daniel Wade, 20, and Private Daniel Wilford, 21, all of 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment.
The tragedy was the biggest single loss of life for British forces in Afghanistan since an RAF Nimrod crash killed 14 people in September 2006.
It took the number of UK troops who have died since the Afghanistan campaign began in 2001 to 404.

Does anybody know what this guy specifically said? :confused:

Soldato
OP
Are they going to arrest the 8 people who liked it aswell? I think he has a good point despite clearly being abit stupid.

Soldato
OP
I think you underestimate the stupidity of the general populace.

Had the Police not intervened and effectively placed him under house arrest I am convinced Dewsbury would be mourning the loss of another life.

Tensions are bad enough as it is.

That is still not justification for applying the law incorrectly.

Soldato
OP
Well, there's two ways to look at that.

Either he gets what he 'deserves' from the general populace (which is at the very least a good hiding in their opinion) or he gets protection and charged with a crime.

The Police, by being present and limiting his movements, were preventing a crime taking place. That's their job.

It is there job but it is hardly consistent, clear cut law enforcement. It is open to abuse when the police are judge and jury. If you are correct Gilly then it's lazy policing removing freedoms.

Soldato
OP
Whilst I feel afghan is a waste of time. I do think we should still have pride for the men and women serving yes. They do not choose where they are sent, and have a difficult job on hand.

But they do get paid for it, know what they are signing up to and are not forced into it.

If you don't like foreign policy don't join the army. I have no additional respect for our armed personnel than i do for anyone else.

Soldato
OP
Oh dear, you should at the very least have additional respect for their bravery. People like you are the reason this country is no longer the strong patriotic nation we used to be.

How many assumptions did you just make?

I'd give my life for my country, but not for the crap wars we enter into. Pride isn't just about supporting my country and it's illogical decisions, it is about caring what decisions it makes and how it is perceived, hence why i started this thread. I don't want my country to become anymore of a joke.

I have pride, just not in your single minded Americanized view.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I made one assumption and in your reply you didn't even try to explain why you don't have additional respect for our armed forces.

Because i would put my life on the line for my country aswell. I wouldn't expect it if the tables were turned.

Soldato
OP
I think if he had used better grammar he wouldn't be in this mess. I think he has accidently missdirected his criticism. But either way it is his opinion.

Soldato
OP
Can't have bad words said against our armed forces........:rolleyes:

Why isn't blasphemy a racially aggravated public disorder offence?

Back
Top Bottom