backup half life 2 files?

Soldato
hi guys

my half life 2 CD doesnt work when i tried install HL2, havent played it for long time so i downloaded HL2 via steam and would like to back up the files to blank CD but which folders/files?

cheers :)

PS how can i re-install HL2 in the future from backup CD?

Soldato
Use the backup option in Steam

Click "File" then "Backup Games". Check what games you want to backup from the list and then follow the wizard. It'll ask you if you're saving to DVD or CD so it can make the appropiate files. Just copy this file (it'll be an exe) to a DVD or CD

When you want to restore your game copy the file off the DVD or CD onto your hard disk (it'll crash if you try to run it off the DVD/CD). This will restore all of your games to your specified folder (complete with folders, windows settings, dlls, etc)

I used this when I rebuilt my PC when I bought a Raptor hard drive - it worked well. One important thing to bare in mind is that it doesn't keep your save games so copy them over seperately to your DVD/CD and copy them back to the correct folder on your hard drive after the restore

Associate
Yeah, it works pretty damn well (after the problems had been ironed out). It a very good distribution model. I just hate the whole ethic behind it; incremental game patching, the inability to play your games with the absence of an interweb connection (officially at least, or have I missed something) and well, the whole 'big brother' mentality of it... Yeah, maybe I'm wrong but it's just my opinion. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom