• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best card for 1920x1200 gaming?

Associate
Hey

Right now I've got an 8800GTS 640meg, but I think it's on its way out! If I play intensive games at 1920x1200 it tends to pack up after about 30 minutes. What's considered the best card for games at high resolutions? I'd love to try and max Far Cry 2 out as much as possible in the next couple of weeks!

Will my processor be a bottleneck? e6600 Dual Core? Don't really want to replace that right now though

Tom

Associate
OP
Right, I'm all ready to go for the 4870 1gig, but I'm a bit unsure on the whole PCI Express 2.0 thing. I'm pretty sure my rather dated ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 is only PCI Express 1.0. Will it still be compatible?

Associate
OP
Well I've ordered the 4870 1gig Powercolor jobby. Just opened up my computer though and I only appear to have the 1 power connector - whereas the 4870 requires 2. Can anyone direct me to what I need to buy? I'm a bit clueless in regard to cables and stuff - I don't have to buy a new PSU do I?

Associate
OP
Just got the card, and unfortunately it doesn't come with an adapter :( I've had a rummage through my box of bits, and all I can find is a Compupack A001-W011 Rev B. Not really sure what it is, but its 2 x 4 pin sockets (although only 3 pins in each) into a 6 pin socket (which only seems to have 5 connections in it!). Is that any good?

Associate
OP
since we're on the topic..

would a 8800gt play TF2 and CoH at that res, without AA, comfortably? want to get a new screen, but would like to hold onto this card for at least another 6 months/year

Can't speak for TF2 but I was running Company of Heroes at 1920x1200 with an 8800GTS 640meg and it seemed ok

Back
Top Bottom