Best multi-gigabit router

Associate
So,

Just upgraded to 2gb/s and the router options are quite dire in the UK, the options are the Eeero 7 @ £600 or a months wait for the TP Link Archer 800
Does anyone know of any solid routers with 2.5Gb/s ports + wifi for under £300?

The Eero 7 does feel like overkill

I will be using this primarily for work, and that's through a wired Mac and a wired PC, so don't really need fancy wi-fi features.

Soldato
The forest place is doing the TP-Link BE9300 (BE550) for £299.99 WiFi 7, 2.5Gb WAN and 4x 2.5Gb LAN for connectivity.

Any good?

Last edited:
Associate
I picked up an TP-Link Archer GX90 (AX6600) about 18 months ago, has a 2.5gbs WAN/LAN port, 1gbs WAN/LAN port, 3 x 1gbs LAN ports and WiFi 6 (personally think thats more than enough), and I've been very happy with it, you can generally find them on sale for <£300.

As a note, if you don't want that crazy "gaming" look, then the TP-Link Archer AX90 (AX6600) (If you can't find it in stock then look for the AX95 AX7800 model) is the general purpose "home" version, virtually identical spec, which for work / productivity would probably suit you better.

Last edited:
Associate
I picked up an TP-Link Archer GX90 (AX6600) about 18 months ago, has a 2.5gbs WAN/LAN port, 1gbs WAN/LAN port, 3 x 1gbs LAN ports and WiFi 6 (personally think thats more than enough), and I've been very happy with it, you can generally find them on sale for <£300.

As a note, if you don't want that crazy "gaming" look, then the TP-Link Archer AX90 (AX6600) (If you can't find it in stock then look for the AX95 AX7800 model) is the general purpose "home" version, virtually identical spec, which for work / productivity would probably suit you better.
OP has just moved to 2 Gbps and would only get 1Gbps through that router because it doesn't have 2.5 Gbps LAN ports, they are 1 Gbps

Soldato
Flint 2 is the obvious choice, it's a £125-145, has the option of a vanilla OWRT build or the GL-inet custom firmware's, they had a minor issue with 2.4Ghz which has seemingly been resolved with a driver rollback/branching from a slightly earlier OWRT version.

Associate
OP
Thanks gents, in the end I pondered whether I'd be slightly more future proofed with the Eero7 max, considering the TP Link offerings were a few months off I went with the Eero, seems to be working quite well.
I have gone down the unify rabbit hole, so will probably make that switch at some point when I have spare time.

Associate
So instead of going with a open source £130 router you opted for a £600 closed device that farms your data and has known speed problems.

As you can see the eero 7 has worse range than the devices they released 6 years ago, defo future proof. Sometimes I even wonder why people post on here. A great alternative nearly £500 cheaper was suggested and you still go with what you wanted to all along.

Associate
OP
Oof did not know about the data privacy stuff, I mainly need this just for the wired connectivity as I have another isp for non work stuff. If they are doing this double gateway for monitoring activity that’s a no go, I should have read up. I thought with the cost it would be exempt from such heinous monitoring! I’ll return it over the weekend and get the cheaper one for mt6000

Soldato
If you wanted to go Unifi, the UXG-Max is 190ish and 2.5Gb LAN/WAN, you just need to run your own controller on something, i'd imagine a future release will have a similar spec and onboard controller, but we are being drip fed releases still and it's not hard to run the controller on a wide range of cheap platforms. Obviously adding Unifi AP's isn't going to be cheap though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom