Bios update and Q-Fan issues

Associate
OP
Another option is fan controller, cheaper then a new motherboard.
Thought about it. Need to get some time free to take the PC apart bit by bit to figure it out. My gut feeling is that the Dark Base 900 Pro case Fan Controller is faulty.

Associate
OP
B550A-Pro looks decent for the money. TUF B550-Plus is fine, Tomahawk is fine, Gaming X V2 is fine (though think the spec is a bit lower than the other boards). I'd avoid the B550 Gaming Gen3, since it is only PCI-E 3.0 and just 1x M.2 slot.

One further question - I use Windows 11 Pro and using slmgr.vbs/dli command, it states that the key is Retail and licenced.

So, by changing the Motherboard (hardware per Microsoft) will this key still work?

Man of Honour
One further question - I use Windows 11 Pro and using slmgr.vbs/dli command, it states that the key is Retail and licenced.

So, by changing the Motherboard (hardware per Microsoft) will this key still work?
Who knows. From what I've seen, genuine purchased retail copies of Windows 11 should work (if it is assigned to your Microsoft account they provide an option to reassign the license), while older copies of Windows that have been upgraded (e.g. Windows 7 or 8.1) are less likely to reactivate. There have been posts on here where even retail copies of Windows 11 (i.e. not upgraded) have had problems and Microsoft seem much less likely to help now, whereas before they were pretty relaxed about it.

Associate
OP
Who knows. From what I've seen, genuine purchased retail copies of Windows 11 should work (if it is assigned to your Microsoft account they provide an option to reassign the license), while older copies of Windows that have been upgraded (e.g. Windows 7 or 8.1) are less likely to reactivate. There have been posts on here where even retail copies of Windows 11 (i.e. not upgraded) have had problems and Microsoft seem much less likely to help now, whereas before they were pretty relaxed about it.

Mine is upgraded from Windows 10 pro, so may have issues. Might have to consider other options then.

Just received this response on Microsoft Community - "When using the activation trouble shooter, it is normal that you will see the old device on which the license was previously installed. Just select that device, then click activate. This is the process of transferring a digital license from an old device to a new device."

Last edited:
Associate
My motherboard is Strix X570-E with an old bios version 1201 x64. The Q-Fan is suddenly stuck on high speed and BIOS Q-Fan does not respond. Tried Fan Control software and that does not work. The noise is driving me mad!
Also, tried to update the BIOS from within BIOS (using Internet option). It only gives me an option to update to BIOS version 3001 (Current X570-E version on Asus site is 5001). I have not yet updated. Could this be the most I can update to?

Lastly, not having tried BIOS update, if things go wrong, can I use the BIOS port at the c=back of PC to change to a lower version?

Any advice will be much appreciated.
It’s more than likely a bug in the BIOS.

Definitely update the BIOS.

It’s easy and you have BIOS flashback so you can flash a BIOS even if the BIOS update goes wrong (which I’ve done personally).

I’ll never get another motherboard without it - it saves so much pain and effort over having to RMA a motherboard and all that faff.

Associate
OP
Mine is upgraded from Windows 10 pro, so may have issues. Might have to consider other options then.

B550A-Pro looks decent for the money. TUF B550-Plus is fine, Tomahawk is fine, Gaming X V2 is fine (though think the spec is a bit lower than the other boards). I'd avoid the B550 Gaming Gen3, since it is only PCI-E 3.0 and just 1x M.2 slot.

Just realised that on Asus B550 boards, using M.2 second slot disables SATA port 5 and 6. B550-A pro manual only states by using M.2 2nd slot, "when installing PCIe SSD in M.2_2 slot, PCI_E3 slot will be unavailable". I can live with this. Will any SATA ports be disabled as well?

Associate
I had this on an Asus board. Fan control for numerous fans was set on auto and worked fine for a while. But then for no apparent reason certain fans ramped up to 100%. I just had to manually select either pwm or DC and the problem went away. I think it's a conflict between q fan and the Asus software.

Associate
OP
I had this on an Asus board. Fan control for numerous fans was set on auto and worked fine for a while. But then for no apparent reason certain fans ramped up to 100%. I just had to manually select either pwm or DC and the problem went away. I think it's a conflict between q fan and the Asus software.

I think so as well but PWM / DC did not work. Will try and update the bios - mine is 4 year old! My be Quiet 900 pro case has a Fan controller in the case - maybe it might be fault. Will try and connect the fans directly to the case and see. Busy for the next few days but need to sort the damn noise!:mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom