BMW F33 435i Roof Won't Latch

Soldato
So had a weird one as I got in the car on the way back from the supermarket earlier. Error comes up on the dash saying convertible roof not latched, I fully opened the roof and still the same message, then closed it again and the same message.

I am assuming it is either one of the rear latches or just a sensor/cable but anyone know anything else it could be or some easy checks/fixes for this issue?

Don
Check for water in the boot under the passenger side, best to take the moulding out and have a good look.

Also make sure your drain holes aren't blocked, mine did exactly what yours did and it proved to be incredibly costly.

Soldato
Think my hairdresser had this same problem, I'll ask them when i next get my hair cut. :p

Have you made sure that the boot is fully closed and that the little flap cargo partition is in the downward position?

Don
Think my hairdresser had this same problem, I'll ask them when i next get my hair cut. :p

Have you made sure that the boot is fully closed and that the little flap cargo partition is in the downward position?

Different error for that, luggage compartment something or other and the roof won't do anything if it's not down.

My money is on water ingress, it's fairly common :)

Soldato
OP

Yeah different error plus it wouldnt let me put it up and down if that was the case.

Ah if your hairdresser has picked a 3l inline 6 well done to them :p clearly a good taste

Different error for that, luggage compartment something or other and the roof won't do anything if it's not down.

My money is on water ingress, it's fairly common :)

We have had a lot of rain recently, will wait till it dries up and test again. If its gone i will hunt for the leak. Any common areas?

Don
underneath and around the amplifier under the back left moulding and the roof pump in the middle, it will be quite obvious if there is ingress as it will be generally damp everywhere.

take it for a drive and stamp on the brakes, if you get covered in water or you hear some sloshing around you need your drain holes unblocking, shocking oversight by BMW tbh.

Soldato
OP
underneath and around the amplifier under the back left moulding and the roof pump in the middle, it will be quite obvious if there is ingress as it will be generally damp everywhere.

take it for a drive and stamp on the brakes, if you get covered in water or you hear some sloshing around you need your drain holes unblocking, shocking oversight by BMW tbh.

I will give this a try in a bit as well as rummage around for some damp spots. Cheers

Associate
Did you solve this issue. I have similar problem - my roof unlatches and latches, but no further movement. ISTA shows no errors on convertible top module. I hear clicking in the trunk after unlatching, but pump does not start. I checked two salmon relays, replaced them, still the same. I also had water in my trunk 6 months ago. Everything was dried and cleaned, but roof was not checked as it was winter. But last year it was working just fine. Now wanted to open the season but roof not operating. Any other ideas or how did the rest of you solve this?

Associate
It was about 1-2 cm, but I was driving for a while and the foam might have been soaking wet for a while. So did you need to replace the whole motor/pump? Did it look corroded from the visual inspection? As mine's foam felt little moist, but the motor does not look corroded. Is there a way to test the motor before replacing it? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom