Brawn: The Impossible Formula 1 Story

Soldato
Really?! I thought he was incredibly dull. Didn't really add much to it at all.
Only watched a couple of episodes so far. Quite a few things I never knew about too, so a very insightful series so far.

Associate
Enjoyed it. Always fun to recap something you saw “live”.
Agreed - I had sort of forgotten how bad a mid->end of the season button had to be honest, and had mis-remembered the Rubens tantrum as being much earlier in the season too.

Some nice other bits to flesh the program out too, with the FOTA debate - some of the behind the scenes at Brawn when talking with Mercedes. Good to see the interview with Felippe and showing Keanu his helmet from the spring impact.

Brawn were very lucky that McLaren got themselves together later in the season as they took some good points off Red Bull, could have very easily have been Red Bull taking it.

Caporegime
Enjoyed the program. But Bernie makes my skin crawl. Such an Odious little man. Having him on the documentary seemed pointless to me. Dont think he added anything other than some hateful comments. Lord knows what they shot but couldn't use.

And as for Christian Horner, just when I thought I couldn't dislike him anymore after how he came across on Drive to Survive - this series confirmed my hate for the man.

Enjoyed hearing the interview from the others though Was interesting to see the behind the scenes on the FOTA and breakaway stuff.

Soldato
A good series. Keanu was an odd choice but fair play, he's a great man so no issues with that.
I had forgotten some of the detail. I forgot how bitter Rubens was over a lot of that season. He felt very hard done by as I think he felt it was his last chance to win one after the years at Ferrari. Great guy Rubens though. Also the guy running Ruben's side of the garage coming on team radio and firing shots at the other side when they had a good result is just not the one! Savage.
It felt a bit like the Rosberg 2016 championship win. Lucky to hold on really was Jenson.

The only thing I did think could be done much better, was going into a bit more detail on the double diffuser and how it worked. That was glossed over and completely not explained properly as to how technically it was allowed. Poor diagrams and explanation given the whole thing centres on that. They were basically like "yeah it's a double decker part of body work" or a "hole in the floor".

Soldato
@jaybee - do you think Brawn would have really given Rubens a worse car? I find it hard to believe personally. Sure they might have given Jenson new parts first or whatever but I’d be surprised if they went out of their way to make his car completely different.

Soldato
@jaybee - do you think Brawn would have really given Rubens a worse car? I find it hard to believe personally. Sure they might have given Jenson new parts first or whatever but I’d be surprised if they went out of their way to make his car completely different.

I note that Bernie commented during the series "who told you that they had the same car?" in response to Keanu mentioning that they were the same car. Bernie then commented that basically they probably only had enough money to run one car at full capacity due to the nature of the small team. Whether or not there is any truth to that I don't know, but it is telling that Ross himself said something along the lines that, at some point team orders and priorities do come into play when one driver has more of a chance. But then towards the end, Jenson, Rubens or Seb could have won it so...
There was also the bit where Rubens side of the garage found setup advantages in camber settings which they deliberately did not share with the other side.
F1 will always be flawed in that regard having conflicts of interest between teams within teams. Always a balancing act.

I've answered your question like a true politician. Basically I don't know!

Soldato
Thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was very well presented. As much as I hate Bernie, I think he was an important part of the story of F1 that year and it added much more context to the show.

Those that love Keanu will enjoy his interview parts, but for those that don't he was a little wooden, as usual :D I love the guy, personally.

It's what drive to survive should have been. Even though I knew the story I couldn't stop watching.

Caporegime
Finished it today. It was good. What a crazy season that was.

I found the score/music bewildering at times. I felt it was far too dark/sad - it was like the composer tried to do a 'Rush' but got the tone all wrong. The closing music sounded like the end of a murder/crime drama.

Soldato
Really good, forgot about some of those races, really topsy turvy season seeing so many different winners and teams having their ups and downs, a good blast back to the old days of unpredictability. Cars were so much smaller and nimble too.

@Jono8 just finishing it now and definitely agree on the music, especially that last bit.

Associate
Was an ok watch I thought. Like others have said I forgot how tough a season Jenson had after the early days so was interesting to see again. Was funny the bit about Richard Branson who basically wanted everything for nothing.. pretended as if it was basically his team then went when they asked for real money. Bernie comes out of it as badly as you expect, but also very clear he ran the F1 show. His announcement that Brawn were staying was outragous but then again Brawn and Nick Fry's handling was great. I think Nick deserves a lot more credit for saving the team than he gets.

Keanu was alright but would have prefered someone else - he sounds dull and slow sounding one moment, swearing and almost jumping around the next. He's just not a natural interviewer/ voiceover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom