Can I use this cable to power my GPU? 2x6+2pin PCIe to a 16pin PCIe - Trying to stop coil whine...

Soldato
So my PSU has a 16pin 12VHPWR (PCIe 16pin) socket which has a lead that goes directly to an identical socket on my NVidia 4070.

However, I'm getting coil whine, so I'm tempted to see if I can power the GPU differently. There's a lead with the PSU with has two 6+2pin connectors that can go into two PCIe 8 pin ports on the PSU, with the other 16 pin connector then going into the GPU. Is that OK? My fear is it's aimed go around the other way from the 16pin on the PSU to two connectors on the GPU, not the otherway round.

To clarify...

The top cable is the one I'm currently using with one end going straight into my PSU and the other the GPU.

The next one down, can I plug the 16pin connector into my GPU, and then the two 6+2 pin connectors into the two "CPU PCI-E" connectors to the left of the 16pin PCIe connector on the PSU? Or is it intended for another purpose?

myeFBcd.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Did your card come with an adapter?

If it did, what I would do is: plug the card's adapter into the PCI-E 8 pins that you connect as normal to the PSU.

To help with answering your question: what is the PSU model?

Soldato
OP
The Asus Dual 4070 Super did not come with any adapters.

The PSU is an MSI MPG A1000G.

I think that cable (that came with the PSU) is aimed at connecting into the 16pin connector on the PSU, or provide two 6+2PCIe connectos for a GPU. I fear it is not aimed being used the other way around like I wish to?

EDIT: CORRECTION! I've just found an adapter hidden the Asus box! Two female 8 pin sockets, to a single 16pin required for the GPU :) So I assume just run two 8 pin leads from the PSU ("CPU & PCIe" sockets) to that adpater?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right that worked! GPU powered from two 8pin PCIe sockets... :)

Coil whine identical... :(

ps: Thanks for the heads up about the adapter. I had looked, but it was tucked away right out of sight.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The PSU is an MSI MPG A1000G.
I think that cable (that came with the PSU) is aimed at connecting into the 16pin connector on the PSU, or provide two 6+2PCIe connectos for a GPU. I fear it is not aimed being used the other way around like I wish to?
I think the purpose of the supplied cable is to convert a 12VHPWR connector on the PSU into 2x PCI-E 8 pins, so it isn't much use to you.

I believe the reason they include it, is because you only have 2x PCI-E 8 pin cables in the box, so this gives you an opportunity to have 4, albeit at the cost of the 12VHPWR.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom