cheapest cooler to hit 4.5-4.8GHz on 2500k.....

Soldato
OP
To get 4.5 a solid air cooler is needed your looking at a Prolimatech Mega Harlems or the like. If you want 4.8 then you need the Alpenfohn or a Noctua D14 or if you go water an Antec h20 920, all of these will keep your temps in the low 70's @ 4.8 when stress testing and high 50's low 60's when doing normal stuff.

Come to think of it if you can find one the Thermalright Silver Arrow is very well priced for the performance it gives, equal to the D14 and beats the Antec 920.

ok thanks for the info. *goes off to amend New Pc Build.XLSX :cool:

Soldato
OP
ok. thanks for the useful replies so far.

I really think I'm going to push the quiet thing. I think I'm going to exclusively use spectre pro fans in the case, so if i decided to use 1 (or 2) of these instead of the stock fans (or even better a heat sink that doesn't come with one) would this change anyone's opinion? and i think i would rather be quiet at 4.2GHz that louder at 4.5....

Soldato
OP
quite tempted to get a megahalem and put a spectre pro on it.

i take it i could add the cpu fan to a fan controller if i put a jumper on the cpu fan header? or if i had a mobo that i could disable the cpu fan warning?

meh, see how much £££ i got when i do the build.... car insurance just got renewed and for the first time ever i had money to pay it outright instead of monthly.... saves me over £100 over the year but i got nothing left for my damn build now lol. need a build by 15/5, mmmmm d3.

on a unrelated matter, any one had success with decking out their case with foam? (probably generic studio egg box stuff not made for pcs). was the sound deadening good? worth the extra heat?

Soldato
OP
I'm new to this so be easy on me ...

You say don't buy a cheap PSU, I was thinking of buying a 800 or 850 watt PSU, but how will a good PSU unit make a difference to the overal PC? I can understand your point for a good CPU cooler, but PSU I don't.

thanks

2 things

firstly, 99% of the power your pc needs is 12v. good PSUs have most of the power as 12v, bad ones push loads though the other rails (5v 3.3v or whatever). so a 850w cheap PSU may have less usable power than a good 400w one.

secondly, a cheep PSU cant provide stable power. you get spikes and dips which is bad news for your overclocking and bad news for the life of your components.

when looking at PSUs, have a look at how many amps they have on the 12v rail(s), that's what matters not the overall wattage

then have a look at reviews of it and see if its quiet, stable etc etc.

edit - oh and when a PSU goes, theres a good chance it will kill other components too.

Back
Top Bottom