Children's bikes

Soldato
OP
So after waiting several months for Canyon to get the bike in stock and ship it, it finally arrived today.
It's looks an absolute beast, a real trail weapon, especially for a kids bike.

One slight annoying issue - they cabled up the brakes the wrong way around - the right hand lever does the rear brake. Despite this safety notice being clipped to the brake levers :rolleyes::cry:

52180629577_4cd52a7664_z.jpg

Canyon were helpful - I logged onto their website live chat and they said they will cover the cost of taking it to a local bike shop to get the cables switched around.

Planning to visit some decent Wales and Scotland trail centres this year

52181901764_3e0893cf8e_b.jpg

52180629507_5fbe850072_b.jpg

Here's the comparison to his old Orange Zest 24.
The Orange was a decent bike, great gearing and has been 100% reliable. The only negative was the front fork - it really wasn't suited to a small rider (7-10 years old). Where the lighter rider weight meant it was difficult setting it up - practically 5-8 PSI to enable compression but that meant rebound wasn't as effective.

52181665608_78e13ea8a2_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone looking for a Kids bike at the moment (for boys, 5-9yo) I would strongly suggest the BMC Two Stroke. Weighed up against the Orange Zest (which is a cracking bike) it's a much better spec and cheaper to boot. Plus, BMC for kids!!! They don't know they were born...

Associate
Probably not, folk will bang on about weight savings etc but it's a kids bike at the end of the day, they won't be going on all day rides in the mountains, just pootling around on pavements.

I'd save the money and just go to Decathlon personally (or Halfords, or even something second hand that has been looked after or barely used)

Associate
IMO untill they get to the larger bike sizes there is no point buying new bikes for kids.
They grow out of them too quickly and the bikes get abused.
All 3 of the bikes I have brough have been from Marketplace and she has loved them all.

Man of Honour
IMO untill they get to the larger bike sizes there is no point buying new bikes for kids.
All 3 of the bikes I have brough have been from Marketplace and she has loved them all.

Most of my bikes as an adult have been bought off Gumtree for a great price but going to their houses which are usually within 10 miles.
The two I use now are from 2012.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably not, folk will bang on about weight savings etc but it's a kids bike at the end of the day, they won't be going on all day rides in the mountains, just pootling around on pavements.

I'd save the money and just go to Decathlon personally (or Halfords, or even something second hand that has been looked after or barely used)
Second hand is a good suggestion. I'll see what I can find.
Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions.

Soldato

But if the bike is too heavy they won't ever want to ride it. If the decathlon or halfords are similar spec weight and size wise go there.

Soldato
OP
All of the bikes I’ve bought for my son (the ones above), have been sold for 80-90% of the new price, after 2 years.
It basically means he‘s got to ride nice bikes for little outlay from me.

Last edited:
Associate
All of the bikes I’ve bought for my son (the ones above), have been sold for 80-90% of the new price, after 2 years.
It basically means he‘s got to ride nice bikes for little outlay from me.
True but the risk is there
If a £15 bike is lost stolen or destroyed who cares.

Back
Top Bottom