Configuration of Remote Access Permissions for NAS ?

Associate
Hi,

Having purchased a QNAP NAS a while ago I hope to finally get round to setting it up in the next week or so.
It is my first NAS and I would be grateful for any advice on configuring remote access permissions to it over the internet.

Basically, is it possible to assign access to the NAS to a remote user and for them to be able to run apps on it but deny them permission to copy/download files from it?
By remote user I mean at a different location and not on the LAN that the NAS is on.

Thx for any feedback.

Soldato
havent played with qnap before but that should all be doable.

as i understandit you can create any number of user accounts and assigne differant authentication methods be it agaisnt Active Directory or standalone.

you can limit user access to apps, hear are the frst 2 links i pulled up:
Link 1 - How to Prevent Users to Open Some Apps?
Link 2
but seems to be no all apps so may need to check your individual use case.

File permsisions are simpler, by default they dont have writes (or shouldnt be default) so you need to grant them access on a per location basis.
set up groups assigne the group to the share/location then add the user(s) to the group.

assuming you have some sort of VPN or SDwan between sites (openVPN/AlwaysON/DirectAccess/wireguard), if you dont then they wont be able to access from out side local network. be carefull your not opening your entire internal network to the outside world.

Back
Top Bottom