Connecting my TV to bookshelf speakers - I'm out of touch

Associate
Hi, I've realised my audio know-how is out of date with present tech and I need some help with understanding what my options are. I have an old NAD stereo amp with a pair of Tannoy M2 speakers. I'm happy with the sound I get from this setup but the NAD amp is on the blink and so I'm looking at getting a new amp, but I want to take into consideration that things have moved on from plugging the amp into the headphone jack of a TV, which is how I currently switch between the TV speakers and my amp/speakers set up. This has always been a pain as it means reaching behind the TV with a 3.5mm cable every time.

TVs now seem to have a smarter way of dealing with an external amp/speakers setup. There's this thing called HDMI ARC, which I assume is what you use to connect to an AV receiver. My question is if I bought a modern stereo amp, would I be able to connect my TV to amp in this way? Is there anything else I need to consider? Second and perhaps most important question is what amp would you recommend to pair with my TV and Tannoys for best sound quality, bearing in mind I probably have a budget of around £200 but don't mind buying second hand? If that's too stingy and I need to be spending more to get the solution I need then fair enough.

Associate
OP
I also have a vinyl player which connects to the NAD amp via RCA. Doesn't look like the Wiim amp supports this without preamp shenanigans.

I think I basically just want my NAD stereo amp but with an HDMI ARC input. Does that exist?

Associate
OP
Does the TV just constantly output audio through the optical cable? If I have the DAC plugged in will it mute the TV speakers or will it continue to output to both?

Soldato
Does the TV just constantly output audio through the optical cable? If I have the DAC plugged in will it mute the TV speakers or will it continue to output to both?
If you set your TV to output sound via Optical and set optical to PCM on the TV as well, the answer is yes. The TV speakers will be muted by the TV when you set it to output optical.

Associate
I also have a vinyl player which connects to the NAD amp via RCA. Doesn't look like the Wiim amp supports this without preamp shenanigans.

I think I basically just want my NAD stereo amp but with an HDMI ARC input. Does that exist?

WiiM Amp

If your turntable comes with a built-in phono preamp, connecting it to the WiiM Amp is straightforward. Simply use the RCA port on the WiiM Amp for this purpose. If your turntable doesn’t have a built-in preamp, you’ll need an external phono preamp. Connect your turntable to the phono preamp, and then link the preamp to the WiiM Amp's RCA port.

I had the Wiim amp, I wanted to like it. It did have everything I needed but I felt the sound was a bit flat. I sent it back and got a secondhand amp from ebay. The sound is better but it's not as flexible as the wiim amp.

Soldato

Does your record player have phono stage built in, or does it require off board phono pre amp?

You'll be looking for stereo integrated amplifier with

Analogue input
Possibly phono stage (optional) - if not use external
HDMI ARC input

So basically a stereo integrated, DAC

For £200. Nah.

Something like this

Soldato

WiiM Amp

If your turntable comes with a built-in phono preamp, connecting it to the WiiM Amp is straightforward. Simply use the RCA port on the WiiM Amp for this purpose. If your turntable doesn’t have a built-in preamp, you’ll need an external phono preamp. Connect your turntable to the phono preamp, and then link the preamp to the WiiM Amp's RCA port.

I had the Wiim amp, I wanted to like it. It did have everything I needed but I felt the sound was a bit flat. I sent it back and got a secondhand amp from ebay. The sound is better but it's not as flexible as the wiim amp.

Analogue inputs will be digited so kinda defeating point of high quality analogue sources. It'll do in a pinch, but if you know about that and analogue inputs are priority I'd look elseware. This is more of a digital input amp.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm slowly coming to that realisation.

This thread may have to pivot into convincing me not to 6x my budget on buying that NAD amp though tbh. It's a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom