Covering radiator grills in cold weather....

Caporegime
Just seen an e36 with the front "Kidney" grill covered in foil as you used to see years back on Cortinas & the like.

I'm puzzled as to why people do this, a little incident on the M6 in Cumbria the other night in my truck made me really give it some thought.

DSC00166-1.jpg

Taken earlier in the week, but it gives you an idea as to what I mean....

When it snows, due to the wonderful aerodynamics (!) the front of the truck gets pretty caked up, the gaps you see on the front of the cab are covered by a fine black mesh with holes small enough to trap bugs in the summer & particles of road salt etc in the winter. On this particular occasion, I was travelling south from Carlisle and the temperature around Shap was circa -18 (!), it had snowed on the way up, the truck was pretty caked as per the picture, anyway, I noticed to my surprise my temperature guage (for the engine) was rising rapidly so I pulled into Westmorland services and found the front of the truck covered liberally with a hard coating of ice which had completely blocked the mesh I described earlier.

I'd guess the airflow over the radiatior / intercooler had obviously become restricted hence the cooling issue that had arisen.

So, given said issues, why on earth do people feel the need to cover their radiators in these admittedly harsh conditions?

I chipped away the ice & snow and set off again and the temperature guage returned to its normal position.

Thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
( |-| |2 ][ $;15702163 said:
Helps the car warm up quicker / helping petrol consumption.

Would be required if the car themostat was broken / stuck open.
I don't see why it should make much difference on a fully working car though. At -25C maybe?

I see your point, but it surprised me greatly that a similar situation gave me overheating issues on a modern truck, designed & built in Sweeden (where it gets pretty cold!) with a perfectly fine thermostat.

Hmm....

Caporegime
OP
( |-| |2 ][ $;15702246 said:
Perhaps yours was totally blocked as opposed to partially? I suspect if it was 50% yours would still work fine?

Indeed, it was totally blocked with snow and solid ice that took quite a bit of chipping (with a metal bar!) to loosen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom