COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
Can we all agree Bill Gates didn't invent it to make a vaccine with trackers in it :)
You see what you've done there - intentionally or not - is to ridicule anyone who questions anything about the COVID years by making out people are crazy.

It wasn't so long ago expressing these opinions would have you deleted from youtube and social media, but would often get replies of tin foil hat 5g ridicule:

Vax damage
Lab leak theory
Vax & Mask efficacy

All of which are now considered mainstream acceptable opinions and hold weight.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You see what you've done there - intentionally or not - is to ridicule anyone who questions anything about the COVID years by making out people are crazy.

It wasn't so long ago expressing these opinions would have you deleted from youtube and social media, but would often get replies of tin foil hat 5g ridicule:

Vax damage
Lab leak theory
Vax & Mask efficacy

OK so Bill Gates did invent Covid so he could make a Vax that he put trackers in.

Caporegime
Lab leak theory

Nah, most versions of the Lab leak theory are still full pants on head, and none of them are widely believed by people whose opinion is worth a dime. The overwhelming consensus among virologists and epidemiologists is that it is a simple zoonosis. There is simply no credible evidence for a lab leak at all.

Soldato

Vax damage
Lab leak theory
Vax & Mask efficacy

the lab leak was a viable theory initially, now personally i am not clued in enough to say whether it is or isnt still on the table.......... but at least at the start it was a possibility due to where it was based and what they were working on. To suggest it is a possible source isnt being a crackpot. To categorically state with certainty that that is where it came from and its all a monumental cover up.......... that is different imo.

vaccine side effects............. i dont think anyone would say the vaccine has no side effects, however the crackpot theory is to suggest it was all a monumental coverup to make money and that the vaccine risks on the whole are even remotely close to the risks at the time of getting covid without being vaccinated.

mask efficacy - imo the problem is many people do not use the masks properly and do not fit them properly. The correct mask fitted well and used correctly will help but not a magic bullet. 2 people wearing well fitted correct masks even better..

however some disposible mask reused for weeks on end, worn so covers mouth but not your nose isnt going to do much.

also it seems the mask protects the population from the wearer more than the wearer from the population. So for instance i have not normally worn a mask for ages now.......... but IF i had covid but for some reason i had to go out and could not get around it, i would wear a mask...... not to protect me, but to try to protect you............ you are welcome btw!.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
the lab leak was a viable theory initially, now personally i am not clued in enough to say whether it is or isnt still on the table.......... but at least at the start it was a possibility due to where it was based and what they were working on. To suggest it is a possible source isnt being a crackpot. To categorically state with certainty that that is where it came from and its all a monumental cover up.......... that is different imo.

vaccine side effects............. i dont think anyone would say the vaccine has no side effects, however the crackpot theory is to suggest it was all a monumental coverup to make money and that the vaccine risks on the whole are even remotely close to the risks at the time of getting covid without being vaccinated.

mask efficacy - imo the problem is many people do not use the masks properly and do not fit them properly. The correct mask fitted well and used correctly will help but not a magic bullet. 2 people wearing well fitted correct masks even better..

however some disposible mask reused for weeks on end, worn so covers mouth but not your nose isnt going to do much.

also it seems the mask protects the population from the wearer more than the wearer from the population. So for instance i have not normally worn a mask for ages now.......... but IF i had covid but for some reason i had to go out and could not get around it, i would wear a mask...... not to protect me, but to try to protect you............ you are welcome btw!.

Great post but some still won't get it.
We've been using masks in the NHS from the day the NHS started and quite simply they work, way before Covid I've been asked to wear a mask before I go into certain wards and departments.
However the problem is we have people like me who wore the same mask for weeks on end, doesn't wear it properly, continually touches things then wipe my eyes, nose and mask and this is 'mask efficiency' going wrong.
I have no opinions/theories on where the virus came from, it really doesn't matter to me.

I also have to wonder if these CT'ers think any vaccines work?
Never in the history of humans were so many experts, unlimited money and red tape cut thrown at a problem, I think Pfizer immediately took 2,000 staff off their jobs to concentrate on this one virus and that's besides all the others around the World working on it.
I was one of 50,000 people in this country on trials even though I found out I was on placebos later on.

Soldato

The regular surgical mask you are thinking of works better for disease which is spread mostly via droplet. For virtually completely airborne pathogens like covid, it's next to useless.

Properly fitted respirators are a silver bullet. They will always work, and no virus can get past them.

Man of Honour
For virtually completely airborne pathogens like covid

Eh? I know they've tweaked the definition a bit since this pandemic but COVID is spread by both droplets that surgical type masks can filter as well as what would have been previously referred to as aerosolized which they are less suited to.

Almost all masks aside from very high end stuff are just buying you time and chance - with stuff like N99 buying you a lot of it. bigmike20vt is correct that it almost entirely comes down to people wearing the appropriate mask in the appropriate way - both parties wearing surgical type masks in passing in say a supermarket will give a similar level of protection in that circumstance to someone wearing a N95/FFP2 for short journeys on public transport, etc. (EDIT: Ultimately though it goes beyond that - something often missed - reducing the chance of transmission also means reducing the prevalence in society which means you are less likely to encounter it).

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh? I know they've tweaked the definition a bit since this pandemic but COVID is spread by both droplets that surgical type masks can filter as well as what would have been previously referred to as aerosolized which they are less suited to.

Almost all masks aside from very high end stuff are just buying you time and chance - with stuff like N99 buying you a lot of it. bigmike20vt is correct that it almost entirely comes down to people wearing the appropriate mask in the appropriate way - both parties wearing surgical type masks in passing in say a supermarket will give a similar level of protection in that circumstance to someone wearing a N95/FFP2 for short journeys on public transport, etc. (EDIT: Ultimately though it goes beyond that - something often missed - reducing the chance of transmission also means reducing the prevalence in society which means you are less likely to encounter it).

I have seen almost zero recorded instances of COVID infections that actually came from surface transmission (aka droplets, like how you'd normally expect to catch the Flu). It's such a low risk vector compared to completely airborne transmission (aka micro-aerosols) because COVID can hang around in the air very quickly and for a long time. That's why surgical masks are no good because without an air seal, it's getting in/out. Maybe when both parties are outside they help, but indoors with limited ventilation... no.

An N95/N99 is leagues ahead and cannot even be compared to a surgical mask because when properly fitted it actually provides an air seal and has three mechanisms to prevent those micro-aerosols from breaching it. The only thing superior is a positive pressure mask.

Quite honestly I thought we settled this debate long ago, surgical masks vs respirators because pointing at how bad surgical masks were was what the covid deniers were doing, so I'd rather not do this all over again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never understood the logic of locking the country down whilst encouraging people to all shop at the same place and Sunak encouraged mask off eating.

I don't think the government took covid seriously, so I'm not surprised some folks thought it was over hyped. It exposed the incompetence. Did any other country have a government encouraging people to go out eating?

Covid was promoted as being deadly...but never mind go eat a burger amongst strangers. I wish there would be a class action against the government.

Man of Honour
I have seen almost zero recorded instances of COVID infections that actually came from surface transmission (aka droplets, like how you'd normally expect to catch the Flu). It's such a low risk vector compared to completely airborne transmission (aka micro-aerosols) because COVID can hang around in the air very quickly and for a long time. That's why surgical masks are no good because without an air seal, it's getting in/out. Maybe when both parties are outside they help, but indoors with limited ventilation... no.

An N95/N99 is leagues ahead and cannot even be compared to a surgical mask because when properly fitted it actually provides an air seal and has three mechanisms to prevent those micro-aerosols from breaching it. The only thing superior is a positive pressure mask.

Quite honestly I thought we settled this debate long ago, surgical masks vs respirators because pointing at how bad surgical masks were was what the covid deniers were doing, so I'd rather not do this all over again.

You seem to be mixing up some stuff there - droplet isn't just surface transmission and can happen over the air at close proximity and shorter time durations and is a significant factor in COVID transmission. Even in an indoor setting with crowd mobility even basic masks can offer substantial protection against COVID transmission if both parties are wearing them.

Even where COVID is aerosolized it isn't in the air in isolation - with the mix of other particles even masks where the filtration holes are larger than the virus can offer some protection.

In terms of surface transmission - the last time I saw any studies on it, which no one has really bothered to update since, it was around 1 in 50,000 cases of COVID were transmitted via surfaces on average, though it could be as much as 1 in 10,000 in some environments.

Back
Top Bottom