Dayz Mod Epoch - anyone made their own lan server or know tutorials?

Soldato
Hi guys

After some disappointing experiences on Epoch servers the missus and I thought it might be a good idea to create our own LAN server, just us against the world (we've only been playing a few days so it's all a bit new still).

I've looked about the net for tutorials but I'm struggling to find an ABC of what I need to do to set one up, it seems complicated though, especially when you take into account different versions of the mod and game!

So...how did you do it? Is there an easy way or do you know of some good tutorials you could point me to?

Thanks very much. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the posts guys.

Yes it's just a private LAN for us, certainly at least until we get the hang of the game properly. Us against the world means us against the game world. :)

I became very aware of how fragile our game world characters are last night. I was playing in a server adding stuff to a vehicle when I was suddenly teleported, along with everyone else onto a bus where the admins were streaming god awful music through the voice chat...no way off, kicked off the server if you complain, and my vehicle was sat back at the base unlocked with hours worth of stuff in it.

I've also lost gold and weapons etc. while transferring things through bugs.

Another server that we had been in has been offline for days so no access to stuff there.

My thoughts were we could play the game as normal but having full control if we encounter a bug etc., we could just spawn in whatever we've lost.

My thoughts were if we made our

If the LAN server was to drop though would you not lose your character and any base that you have created or does it store all that information?

That's a good question, I hadn't thought of that. We could spawn the stuff back in I suppose but I don't know what would happen to anything we create, we haven't done that as yet.

Soldato
OP
Long as you have mysql installed on your PC the DB would save as per normal. Just follow the guides for dedi box setups and you are away.

How quick does the database update? Is it everytime something changes like a character picking up / selling something?

Cheers for the recommendations derv & Prestonian, we've just been picking based on rules and low ping and hoping for the best at the moment so a suggested server is always welcome...just search for CPC to find it?

It may be the easiest way but we would still like to be spawning things at times to test out the weapons etc...roaring into a zombie infested town with the top gear, or letting loose with heli machine guns seems a bit of a wheeze! :D

Soldato
OP
I am currently doing this and although there are a lot of guides out there, some are incomplete, old or just wrong.

I followed the guide here and it worked fine for me.

You will probably need to open whatever firewall for the OA exe. Can't remember if I needed to specifically open anything for Battle Eye.

RB

Thanks very much for the link, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

I have been following a Youtube guide but as you say they are out of date, this was posted last August:

It has got me up and running...sort of...I almost get into the game:
server runs
game fires up with DayZ Commander
takes me the difficulty and map select screen
Multiplayer setup screen
Black Dayz Epoch loading screen...

Then it crashes to the desktop with an "Arma 2 OA has stopped working" screen - arragghh so close!

This is the problem:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Arma2OAserver.exe
Application Version: 1.62.103.718
Application Timestamp: 51682563
Fault Module Name: HiveExt.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.9.6.14
Fault Module Timestamp: 52deebf8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00031640
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I'm a bit stuck now...the missus could see the sever as well, we are *so* close to getting it working....so frustrating! :mad:

Soldato
OP
Hi, thanks for your reply, I've only just seen it.

We've got it sorted now...easy answer...run the server from a separate machine! :D

Luckily I had ARMA & OA on Steam which I use as a client and I also snapped it up really cheap once on GOG so I use that as the server on a separate machine and we both connect as clients now, jobs a goodun! :D

I haven't looked at any mods or anything like that yet, we are running vanilla Epoch.

Do you know where we would download mods etc? I've been on servers where there are side objectives...kill a murderer, recover stuff from a downed heli etc., that would be fun!

Back
Top Bottom