Debian Bookworm (Standard Install) Ifconfig Problem

Associate
I've have to admit I have never just picked up a copy of Debian from their site before. Other flavours yes. On install of new Flavours @ the cli I have a set of stuff IE essentials I like to install. Like: dnstop,iftop,iperf3,mtr etc.. you get idea but! ifconfig which I would get from net-tools doesn't want to work this time. I know I could do ip a, but I like what I like. Anyway all I seem to get from it now is -bash: ifconfig: command not found. I used sudo apt install by the way. Any thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
Associate
Check whether ifconfig actually exists on your filesystem - look in /usr/bin/, /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin

If it's there, check the location is in your path?

Soldato
I've have to admit I have never just picked up a copy of Debian from their site before. Other flavours yes. On install of new Flavours @ the cli I have a set of stuff IE essentials I like to install. Like: dnstop,iftop,iperf3,mtr etc.. you get idea but! ifconfig which I would get from net-tools doesn't want to work this time. I know I could do ip a, but I like what I like. Anyway all I seem to get from it now is -bash: ifconfig: command not found. I used sudo apt install by the way. Any thoughts welcome.
When you say net-tools doesn't want to work, what do you mean? I am running Bookworm and just tried it - sudo apt install net-tools - I could then run ifconfig without a problem. Did you try run sudo apt update?

ifconfig is actually deprecated now, so you really should move over to ip!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
and yes you was correct I just needed to run sudo apt update lol
Strike that I was at a pi console, so I would need to add paths or just use sudo is the best answer

Last edited:
Associate
It works using sudo ifconfig. if I use pi's or ubuntu I would just need to use ifconfig.
Yeah makes no sense that you need elevated privileges to see a host's IP address.

Root issue is your path should have sbin in it anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Alternatively you could just run /sbin/ifconfig from the standard user prompt (or /usr/sbin/ifconfig if that's where it is)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom