Debian Sid with a Tiling Window Manager and Apps for Shortwave Listeners (and Coders)

Associate
After many years being based on Ubuntu, Skywave Linux is now rebased and built on top of Debian Sid. It is a distribution I maintain, with a nod to radio hobbyists and experimenters, enabling people without antennas or radio equipment to access hundreds of software defined radio servers around the world. Skywave Linux also has hardware drivers for popular software defined radio devices, so users can plug them in and tune their local airwaves. I'm a big fan of low power digital modes in amateur radio and weather satellites, so the system is set up with decoding tools Fldigi and SatDump. This version 5 release is more installation friendly than the old Ubuntu iterations. It is still a live distro you boot and run from a flash drive, but it can easily be installed like any other Linux. Free and open source software FTW.

The wallpaper (Edwin Armstrong Tower, up close)...
armstrong-tower-001.jpg

Receiving NAVTEX from a receiver in Europe:
Fldigi-NAVTEX.jpg

The KiwiSDR and WebSDR map on the left; SuperSDR Kiwi client on the right. The AM station is CBC Radio 1, in Canada:
kiwisdr-map-and-client.jpg

Soldato
Looks cool, I'm on Debian nowadays but stick to stable and use i3, should probably move over to Wayland at some point, but I know i3 pretty well by now. I used to use dwm, but am pants at C.

Back
Top Bottom