Dell XPS 13 Range

Associate
Good evening,

I am very close to purchasing the Dell XPS 13 but I do not want to invest now if there's going to be a new version out anytime soon.

Anyone know how often this range is updated? Or have any good or bad experiences with this laptop?

I know that the late 2015 model (Skylake CPUs) was a small upgrade on the previous so I am wondering whether a completely new and better model will be released this year.

For information, the specification I have decided on is the i5-6200u, 8GB DDR3, 256 PCIe, InfinityEdge Touch display.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Yeah I might just go for it.

But now I am having a little wobbly about whether to spend a bit extra for the i7...

Associate
OP
Missed the delivery yesterday but just picked it up from the sorting office. First thoughts are it is very sleek and snappy but it feels really really tiny. Even when compared to my 13" work laptop. This was to be expected somewhat but I do hope I get used to the feeling and do not start to think I should have got the XPS 15...

Associate
OP
If its any consolation I believe the keyboards are the same size in both models. I'm pretty sure i remember reading they both have the same key travel as well, which was one of the pickups for these models. They probably use the exact same keyboard between the two models as they behave and appear so alike.

Indeed I read that the keyboards are more or less the same but I actually really enjoy typing on it so that is not an issue. Thanks for trying to make me feel better though! The purchase coincides with a strong possibility that I will get rid of my desktop and once I saw how small it was concerns about screen size and processing power suddenly became a lot more real.

Having spent a bit more time with the XPS 13 it did not really feel that fast, or at least it was not as responsive as I had hoped it to be, and coupled with the screen size I could see myself getting frustrated with this in the future. Did some research into the XPS 15 yesterday and reckon its a lot more suited to my needs. So, I have ordered one and eagerly await its arrival :D

Associate
OP
I picked up the XPS 15 last night and first impressions are good. Although the 13 and 15 are based on the same design the 15 has a very different feel not only due to the size but due to the noticeable additional weight.

The screen is gorgeous and the extra processing power, compared to the 13, immediately became apparent. This feels much more comparable to my desktop which was just as important to me as the additional screen space.

Back
Top Bottom