DIY loft flooring.

Transmission breaker
Don
Product finders of OCUK - Im caling you out!

I am doing my nut in here trying to find somewhere to order basic loft flooring panels online. I dont have time to get to a DIY store, or the abilty to transport them to my new house without ruining the interior of my car.

So i want to find a place where i can order basic, nothing special loft floor boarding. I will be installing it myself, and i have all the relevant too

Do you guys know where i can find something online?!

Soldato
Sorry the only places I know of that do loft flooring are B&Q and Homebase. They sell boards in packs of 3 that are easy to work with. Each board is about 4ft by 1ft. Each pack costs about £3.70. I couldn't find them on the websites though :(

Associate
The B&Q packs are small enough to fit in my FTO so shouldn't be to much of a problem to transport and i'm pretty sure they are all plastic wrapped as well.

The other option is i know that my local B&Q will do delivery if you go in and ask them or some of them even do van rental by the hour to get large stuff home. Might be worth asking them?

Edit: and don't forget to get insulation when you put the boards down, may as well do it at the same time :)

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Ahh, coolies. So i shall call them up then..

The insulation is already down. Its a brand new house, i should be moving in on the 11th, but im getting the developer to replace all the carpets for me, as when we rented it back to them as a show house they fully decked the place out. Which was nice. So i now have a nice fully decorated house to move into :D However, muddy feet have ruined the carpet.

I need to deck the loft out for storage, i dont fancy wakling about on the beams forever!

Cheers peeps :)

Associate
The boarding from Focus DIY has a better tongue and groove than that sold elsewhere, about the same price and well worth getting. The tongues on the B&Q can be easily snapped with thumb pressure so i wouldn't fancy seeing what it'd be like under foot.

Soldato
There must be a place near-by where you can walk in and order what you want for delivery. There are loads of places like that near me.

Go for a drive and look for wood yards!

Phil.

Man of Honour
Just order some chipboard from a local timber yard or builders merchant. They will deliver it where you want. You may have to use a phone though. :eek: ;)

Associate
All the big DIY sheds do the bording and its all wraped. Just make sure you get a sufficent thickness to have enough strengh to take the weight of a person between the joists. You may have to put in a few extra nogins, while your there it might be worht putting in a little extra insulation the more the better, its nasty stuff to work with but a good layer about 3" saves you a lot of money in the long run.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
OvertoneBliss said:
There must be a place near-by where you can walk in and order what you want for delivery. There are loads of places like that near me.

Go for a drive and look for wood yards!

Phil.

Im sure there are. However as i stated, i dont have time., I would rather it was delivered, i have no problem using the phone/net and getting it delivered though!

:confused:

Associate
AJUK said:
Just order some chipboard from a local timber yard or builders merchant. They will deliver it where you want. You may have to use a phone though. :eek: ;)

Normally comes in 8x4 boards and try getting that into your loft! You also need a lot of kit to cut the touge and groove yourself.

Man of Honour
Angel said:
Normally comes in 8x4 boards and try getting that into your loft! You also need a lot of kit to cut the touge and groove yourself.
Buy a saw. :)

You won't need t&g if you are just using it for light storage but if you are planning to convert it to a habitable room you have more important things to worry about than cutting t&g.

Permabanned
Not all houses lofts are suitable for loft flooring, there are cases of roofs bowing under the added weight.
Best check that your rafters are ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom