Does your company pay for eye tests/glasses

Soldato
Just had an eye test, and I need some new glasses. Now I wasn't sure if the company would pay for the glasses as well as the eye test seeing as I need glasses to read and use a computer monitor.

Apparently according to HR they will only do this if I can categorically prove that I only need glasses to read a VDU as is stated in the health and safety regulations.

Which got me thinking, who needs glasses JUST to read a computer monitor? It sounds ridiculous?

Soldato
OP
people who are long sighted?

I am long sighted, however looking on the HSE website it seems they have a case

I am entitled to an eye test as I work on DSE - how do I get one? And does my employer have to pay for DSE spectacles?
You are entitled to ask your employer to provide an eye test if you are an employee who habitually uses DSE as a significant part of your normal work. This is a full eye and eyesight test by an optometrist (or a doctor). Your employer should arrange for your test and should tell you how to apply. Your employer will only have to pay for spectacles if the test shows you need special spectacles (e.g. ones prescribed for the distance the screen is viewed at). If your ordinary prescription is suitable for your DSE work the employer does not have to pay for your spectacles.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
if using a VDU is part of your job then by law they have to put towards them, i think its around 55£ towards glasses and will pay for yearly eyetests

(edit: there may be something about how long u use a VDU mind i cant remembeR)

Afraid not

Your employer will only have to pay for spectacles if the test shows you need special spectacles (e.g. ones prescribed for the distance the screen is viewed at). If your ordinary prescription is suitable for your DSE work the employer does not have to pay for your spectacles.

Back
Top Bottom