*** Offical Dragon's Dogma 2 Thread ***

Soldato
Yet you can get upset over a game you've never played and base your opinion on others (who probably like you, based on what was said, have not played it). Your loss, it's a good game and nothing anti-gamer about it, I'm 13 hrs into it and a gamer :)

Yeah it took me a few seconds of Googling to find the micro transactions were not limiting gameplay. It also took me a few minutes of playing to find I could change my character type easily with no need to spend real money. Or that the save system and lack of ability to restart a new game were simply gameplay design choices and not some deliberate attack on gamers liberties.

Soldato
You aren’t forced to make micro transactions. Everything you need to buy or do can be gained through natural gameplay progression and mechanics.

But why are they even there in a £60 game? What justification is there to have micro transactions for anything that has to do with gameplay mechanics?

If you accept this nonsense and defend it, expect to see more and more of it in the future.

Man of Honour
But why are they even there in a £60 game? What justification is there to have micro transactions for anything that has to do with gameplay mechanics?

If you accept this nonsense and defend it, expect to see more and more of it in the future.
They shouldnt be in it, on that I am 100%. However it is just plainly untrue when people say you "have" to pay to do X in the game. We can be very much against the idea of the MTX but we can be truthful about it at the same time, there's no need to lie.

Unfortunately we WILL see more and more of it in the future, regardless of the stand that we as individuals on here take on it because many gamers will fork out money for MTX without a second thought (just look at the huge amount of money that games make on purchaseable cosmetics in games, literally in the billions of dollars...or even look at how many people spend tons of money with Gold Farmers in games to buy ingame Gold in various games) As an individual I can make a stand of course, I can refuse to buy the game....but then I miss out on what has (so far at least) been a very good game, so ultimately I just punish myself by doing so..not the company or anyone who's accountable for the mtx. If I had really firm, strict principles then perhaps I could make that stand but gaming is my only hobby and I put in 50+ hours every week into it so I'm just not willing to lessen my own hobby on the (extremely) remote chance that my stance will be replicated by enough people around the world that the principle I am hampering myself for will actually have an effect.

At least thats how I see it.

EDIT : Just to clarify, when I say theres no need to lie, I dont mean you. I'm talking about the people across the net who are saying that stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato

Micro transactions for SP games have been a thing for almost 20 years. Armour for horses in Elder Scrolls ringing any bells? The same argument was made that this would ruin gaming “unless we made a stand”. Yet here we are almost 20 years later and MTX locking out gameplay features is still not a thing. The point is you don’t need to care in an SP game if some other gamer decides to pay for something that has zero impact on you, because you can still get it through normal gameplay.

Don’t fall for the misinformation that the devs are paywalling key aspects of the game behind micro transactions that are limiting your experience. They aren’t.

It’s no different than someone paying real money for VBucks in Fortnite to get a “cool” skin. It has no bearing on your enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT : Just to clarify, when I say theres no need to lie, I dont mean you. I'm talking about the people across the net who are saying that stuff.

Agreed on this. I had pre-ordered cheaper through CD-Keys and was at work when I read that fast travel, as well as character and class changes were all behind a micro-transaction system that required “real” money. I was not happy and felt gutted.

Yet a quick google showed me this was nothing more than the usual BS click bait YouTube and Reddit crap from sensationalist morons with no critical thinking skills.

Instead I’m playing a perfectly hassle free and fun ARPG that has no in your face micro-transactions and has no paywalled gameplay elements.

I wonder how many of the posters giving off about these micro transactions actually have the game to see it is a total non issue?

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a bit clunky, even DD2 is, but thats just part and parcel of the series really, just like the Gothic games and the Elex games, clunkiness is just a part of them :)

when I meant clunky - probably the wrong word, it was the 30fps that made it feel heavy/slow - same for any game (except for a few exceptions) at 30fps

at 60fps is so much better

Soldato
Just to get back on topic of the actual gameplay. I’m loving the nuances of the combat now and particularly like that my archer is a viable choice.

The total random nature of the open world is so refreshing. Following a path and got ambushed by some goblins. During the fight a Griffen swoops in and a free for all ensues, only for a large cyclops to come trundling over a hill to get stuck in against the Griffen. The poor Goblins were caught in the melee and had no chance. I felt it was time for me and my party to run away while we had a chance.

A proper chaotic experience and just so unchoreographed that it left me impressed at the total randomness. It makes the world feel so alive.

Man of Honour
Just to get back on topic of the actual gameplay. I’m loving the nuances of the combat now and particularly like that my archer is a viable choice.

The total random nature of the open world is so refreshing. Following a path and got ambushed by some goblins. During the fight a Griffen swoops in and a free for all ensues, only for a large cyclops to come trundling over a hill to get stuck in against the Griffen. The poor Goblins were caught in the melee and had no chance. I felt it was time for me and my party to run away while we had a chance.

A proper chaotic experience and just so unchoreographed that it left me impressed at the total randomness. It makes the world feel so alive.
I'm really impressed at how well the AI Pawns work, I swear that they actually play better than many people that I have co-oped in games with :D

Associate
I'm really impressed at how well the AI Pawns work, I swear that they actually play better than many people that I have co-oped in games with :D
They still have the human flaws bless them, I had a moment last night where I'd looped around a mountain and the quick way back was to jump of the edge into a cart full of hay below, assassins creed style.

I landed safely, the next pawn landed safely, then THUD.....THUD :D

Soldato

That's my favorite part, something similar happened to me at night, I was already at half depleted health nothing with me to make a camp and miles from base, awesome and learning experience!

One of the hired pawns I have with me at the moment is awesome in combat and knows the quests and shortcuts, better than me for sure :)

Associate
I'm enjoying just exploring the world and finding random quests and caves.

It's a real challenge when you're far from town at night and trying to find a campsite whilst managing your pawns on low health and avoiding stronger enemies. Like the fact you can't just open your map and fast travel back to the Inn (well you can if you've discovered the runes and have the gear but you know what I mean) all adds to the immersion.

Associate
Well this worked out well when exploring :D

20240323224459-1.jpg

I gave him a good bash, he stumbled, I whacked him again and he fell into the gap making a nice bridge for me to run along his back to the other side.

Associate
They still have the human flaws bless them, I had a moment last night where I'd looped around a mountain and the quick way back was to jump of the edge into a cart full of hay below, assassins creed style.

I landed safely, the next pawn landed safely, then THUD.....THUD :D
Yup, I have levitate ... my pawns don't. Bless em' ... they still jump like lemmings.

Soldato
Cannot recall a game that recently has taken me so far off the beaten path. played minimal main campaign as so gone down a rabbit hole, both exploring wise and timewise, been a while since time passed and it was gone 4am somehow clocked up 20 hours already :o

Had my first death, admittedly in an epic case of scaling a cliff then getting hit attacked by a griffon, that promptly followed with a dragon. I was admittedly trying to skate past the dragon in the first place which I did see off in the distance, but seems griffon attack drew it over, and fighting on cliff edge. Not Happening!

Moved to Mystic spearhand, by curious how people get on with that and how the use it. Very much a hard to master class but powerful once you get going. However it can be amazing teleporting onto back of beasts and spearing them.

In terms of perf, largely fine outside the cities with a 3090 and at 4k, locked it to 60fps which is fine. The map does get pretty massive so a few more teleport location would be ideal

Oh and final comment, without spoiling, recall where you picked up your first seeker token! part of a side quest to go back to that location and there is a time limit! just about recalled after searching round!

Man of Honour
Cannot recall a game that recently has taken me so far off the beaten path. played minimal main campaign as so gone down a rabbit hole, both exploring wise and timewise, been a while since time passed and it was gone 4am somehow clocked up 20 hours already :o

Had my first death, admittedly in an epic case of scaling a cliff then getting hit attacked by a griffon, that promptly followed with a dragon. I was admittedly trying to skate past the dragon in the first place which I did see off in the distance, but seems griffon attack drew it over, and fighting on cliff edge. Not Happening!

Moved to Mystic spearhand, by curious how people get on with that and how the use it. Very much a hard to master class but powerful once you get going. However it can be amazing teleporting onto back of beasts and spearing them.

In terms of perf, largely fine outside the cities with a 3090 and at 4k, locked it to 60fps which is fine. The map does get pretty massive so a few more teleport location would be ideal

Oh and final comment, without spoiling, recall where you picked up your first seeker token! part of a side quest to go back to that location and there is a time limit! just about recalled after searching round!
Must admit that my travelling from A to B in this , goes something like A to G to M to D to X to P to B , because I keep going off exploring to see what I can find or because I see something and wonder whats there (and quite often there's a lot to be found off the normal path)

Associate
Damnit ! Not sure if I can remember where I found my first one ... think it was maybe in
Melve on the top of the guard tower with the ballista

Soldato
Anyone else getting random enemy encounters in Vernworth ? Up to now I have had a pack of Wolves and a few of the Saurian creatures just randomly spawn in the middle of the town square :confused: I know you can lure enemies back in but I haven't been out of the town since my last rest.

Back
Top Bottom