Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Soldato
Most of the acted set pieces in Lynch's 84' Dune were framed like a Shakespearean stage performance.

You just don't get that in modern films plus it really added to the depth and richness of the immersion.
Indeed. Although the story is about holy war, propaganda and promotion of false prophets (to certain people), I also enjoyed the exposition on other and technical matters albeit briefly on the Space guild and the monopoly on commerce and space travel for all Houses of the Landsraad. Ahh well, both films are a great spectacle.

Caporegime
Well, after some further reflection, it is a great film and a great adaptation from the book as a two parter. Perhaps it's my age or a generational perspective but I still think Lynch's version had richer characters.
Have you see the 2 part miniseries made for TV Sci Fi channel?
I actually love this one too. The budget was pitiful but for some reason it just has such a style to it.
I love all 3 films for different reasons but yeah 84 is just awesome. Probably cos i grew up with it as a kid too. Its bonkers...

Soldato
Have you see the 2 part miniseries made for TV Sci Fi channel?
I actually love this one too. The budget was pitiful but for some reason it just has such a style to it.
I love all 3 films for different reasons but yeah 84 is just awesome. Probably cos i grew up with it as a kid too. Its bonkers...
I did watch both miniseries and have enjoyed all adaptions truth be told. But yes, the soft spot is for Lynch's version. Fantastic cast, great music and for its time its set designs were magnificent.

Soldato
Saw this last night, very good as expected. obviously with the focus on Paul they missed out chunks of the side stories in the book and this development that feeds into the ending and obviously the timeline was adjusted somewhat. But always tough to get a book of the detail Dune has into a 5 hour cinema piece. Will be going for a second viewing and probably revisit the 1984 version as it's been an age since I watched it.

Soldato
I'd never read the books, but have now seen Dune Part 1 and Part 2.

Did George Lucas just rip off this book and combine it with The Hidden Fortress?
Same here, never read the books and was so taken by part 1 that I delved into spoilers. Some I don't want to mention which was also in star wars. Lucas definitely took from Dune.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just seen it on the super screen at Cineworld. Brilliant film.

Did this wrap up the original dune series of books?
Dune Part 1 and 2 are a condensed version of the first book with most of the characteristation and World building stripped out. Books 2 is good and expected too be the next film. Book 3 is great, book 4 is a slog and books 4 and 5 are good again although the ending of book 5 is odd. Anything that claims to be a prequel by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson is finely concencentrated essence of turd.

Soldato
Dune Part 1 and 2 are a condensed version of the first book with most of the characteristation and World building stripped out. Books 2 is good and expected too be the next film. Book 3 is great, book 4 is a slog and books 4 and 5 are good again although the ending of book 5 is odd. Anything that claims to be a prequel by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson is finely concencentrated essence of turd.
After a quick flick through I can see why Denis wants to stop at book 2. Hopefully some body with the appropriate skill and vision can do the rest of the original 6 books (up to a good stop point).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom