Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Saw it again last night sans the disruptive ******* thankfully, so was immersed from the start.

Watched Dune part 1 in the afternoon as well which really got me into the vibe. Really looking forward to part 3!

Glad you managed to enjoy it this time around. Like you can't wait for the next installment. I picked up a lot more 2nd time around and it was no less epic with some great acting. As someone said the cast was great. Christopher Walken was a little out of place but it was fine.

Is the original books out in audio? How many books are there?

Soldato
OP
Glad you managed to enjoy it this time around. Like you can't wait for the next installment. I picked up a lot more 2nd time around and it was no less epic with some great acting. As someone said the cast was great. Christopher Walken was a little out of place but it was fine.

eduw4Kc.jpeg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Look up stuff on YouTube by..
Quinn's ideas I think he renamed too.
He might be an acquired taste but he really went deep into dune.

He's got a 7h video out just now of all his previous book summaries in one.
Honestly after the "huge" time jump in the series imo it all gets a bit "silly" "repetitive" Jason mamoa certainly has his career set for a few years :p
And the newer prequel books are pap.

I also point people straight to the syfi miniseries that give the next 2 books a qwik going over.

I'm not hugely looking forward to Messiah because I don't quite know where he wants to take it.
It'll be different. I think it'll pitt him against chani and that's just weird.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went and watched it last minute this afternoon. Pretty good sound for a change at the X Plus screen at showcase.

Much better than the first part, which left me cold tbh, and wasn't as good as Lynch's first half. Villeneuve's second half is better than Lynch's though, leans into the Bene Gesserit side more, more of the politics and religious side.

Certainly can't complain at the visuals and cinematography, but I do find Villeneuve's film lacking... something.

Reactions: Kyo
Don
It's also possibly a love to see the film made as well as the 1st part wasn't massively profitable, so they made have been happy to take a pay cut (and possibly profit share if it does become a commercial hit).

Soldato
Yes though I think there's 2 versions for the 1st book. I listed up to book 3 and damn book 1 has a lot of things that didn't make it to the big screen. I managed to find it online after quite a bit of searching.

Reactions: Kyo
Associate
Saw it Saturday. Thought it was pretty spectacular but had the same issues as the first in a poorly paced third act and some flat performances from Zendaya and Chalamet.

Really hope Villeneuve steps away from Messiah and leaves it to someone else. I've liked these two films but they pale in comparison to everything else he's done imo. Would like to see him do something quiter and a bit more personable again like Enemy.

Associate
I thought it was fantastic. Would love to see both parts back to back in the cinema, but will just have to wait for the Blu-ray instead.

Caporegime
Yes though I think there's 2 versions for the 1st book. I listed up to book 3 and damn book 1 has a lot of things that didn't make it to the big screen. I managed to find it online after quite a bit of searching.
They pretty much hollowed out ever character to 1 trick ponies, which is fine for film. Yes the books have everyone plotting and scheming and although it gets to the same place it takes a much slower in-depth route.

Still loved the film just feel a bit sad for people that haven't got good background knowledge to fill in the gaps.

Associate
Really hope Villeneuve steps away from Messiah and leaves it to someone else. I've liked these two films but they pale in comparison to everything else he's done imo. Would like to see him do something quiter and a bit more personable again like Enemy.

But he's already 2/3 of the way through his original vision. He's said he always wanted to tackle it as a trilogy, and has as much as written the screenplay for Messiah already even though it's not even greenlit. Leaving the final film to someone else will just throw off the overall cohesion of this trilogy. It'd be like having Peter Jackson step away from LotR:RotK.

Plus he's pumping these out at a relatively quick pace. He may as well just see it through.

Associate
But he's already 2/3 of the way through his original vision. He's said he always wanted to tackle it as a trilogy, and has as much as written the screenplay for Messiah already even though it's not even greenlit. Leaving the final film to someone else will just throw off the overall cohesion of this trilogy. It'd be like having Peter Jackson step away from LotR:RotK.

Plus he's pumping these out at a relatively quick pace. He may as well just see it through.

Didn't realize he'd already done the majority of the screenplay. That's fair game then I suppose. Can't see it not getting greenlit, though I doubt it'll make the same sort of money as this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
They pretty much hollowed out ever character to 1 trick ponies, which is fine for film. Yes the books have everyone plotting and scheming and although it gets to the same place it takes a much slower in-depth route.

Still loved the film just feel a bit sad for people that haven't got good background knowledge to fill in the gaps.
Was it in book 1 there was lunch scene with a bureaucrat where Paul showed some character but that didn't make it to the movie. Can't remember what happened to the bureaucrat.

Back
Top Bottom