Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Soldato
Currently global box office at $367.5m after 10 days. USA only opening was $82.5m. International totals are being quite slow to update. Pretty good in the current cinema climate.

Tracking significantly better than the first one which closed on $434m, although it was out for months.

To put in perspective, the USA only domestic box office 3 day opening for Avengers Endgame was $357m & Barbie was $162m.

Oppenheimer was $82.5m, so same domestic opening at this. Oppenheimer is now at $957m globally and still has showings in a few screens.

Guess Dune Part Two will finish $650m-$800m. Good news as should mean we get the conclusion to DV's trilogy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought part 1 was so beautifully shot it was an experience not just a movie. The second one spends so much time in the desert visually it feels a lot less special.
While it is in the desert I think they did a good job with the visuals when it came to the underground living area of the fremin (sp?).

Soldato
I saw this last week and while I loved part one, this was a bit disappointing for me, as it just leaves out too much and changes too much. It's not a very good adaptation of the second part of the book.

It's not a bad movie in its own right but it's just not the adaptation I was hoping for, given how well done part one was.

Caporegime
I thought part 1 was so beautifully shot it was an experience not just a movie. The second one spends so much time in the desert visually it feels a lot less special.

Agreed. Read the first three books in my late teens and loved Dune part 1 but I'd had enough of the constant sand shots after 40 mins. My experience was also let down my Imax being too loud (the GF had her fingers in her ears many times) and we both couldn't adjust to any voiced parts that followed quickly enough and they felt interwoven with other sounds.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not a bad movie in its own right but it's just not the adaptation I was hoping for, given how well done part one was.

I'm not sure any of it is a great adaptation. The treatment of the Mentats, the lack of political subtlety, the lack of lore and exploration of the ideas, the monotonically evil Harkonnens (they were evil in the book, but also clever) and so on.

I still loved the films, but they're better as spectacular cinema than a treatment of Dune.

Soldato
I also wasn't particularly happy with the pacing. I felt it plodded at times getting to obvious conclusions then rushed the end
Yeah, the middle dragged on and then the last 20 mins was rushed. I don't think it needed to be as long as it was.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw this last week and while I loved part one, this was a bit disappointing for me, as it just leaves out too much and changes too much. It's not a very good adaptation of the second part of the book.

I haven't read the books but I thought the first part was better also. The second is good but not great (8/10 rather than 10/10 but will have to watch it again to be sure). Style over substance? It is a very stylish film and the acting is top notch also. There are some fantastic costumes in it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ironically I thought the 1984 Dune did some bits better than this new one
Some of the costume and set design are brilliant but different to Villeneuve's brilliance. The real difference is the characterisation in Dune (1984) DrYueh, Piter, Hafwat and Gurney are real characters they are brought to life so quickly it is impressive. Piter and Yueh are present but empty in Dune (2022). Lynch's version is messy but still impressive, Villeneuve's version is beautifully presented.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Really really enjoyed A solid 8.5 ten.

Felt the last 30mins was rather rushed compared to the lovely slow pace other than that cracking.

It has to been seen on the big screen though beautiful cinematography as many have said.

Dune 3 happening now ?

Reactions: Kyo
Associate
Dune 3 happening now ?
I hope not - I thought it was an awful book...although maybe a film could improve on it!

Anyway, saw 2 on IMAX on Saturday and was very impressed - I agree with what someone said above - it was spectacular as a cinematic experience
Being overly familiar with the book was a bit irritating for me, like with Alia still being in the unborn at the climax. I think the storyline departures from the book were justified and well done, even if I didn't particularly like them
You just have to resign yourself to what's being served up if you are a purist. You are never going to fully faithfully capture a book of this complexity, satisfactorily
I thought 1 was ok, but the progression through the story seemed plodding. What really jarred with me was the way Jessica was portrayed as a crying wimp

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I know nothing about the 3rd book tbh.

The 2nd film should be split into two films really and allowed more development with the spacing guild/mentats etc, going to dig the audio books out. I have them buried on a backup somewhere i think.

Back
Top Bottom