Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Caporegime
I know nothing about the 3rd book tbh.

The 2nd film should be split into two films really and allowed more development with the spacing guild/mentats etc, going to dig the audio books out. I have them buried on a backup somewhere i think.
2nd book. We've only had one so far :p

Just got back, I regret not seeing the first on the big screen. Only saw it last week so it was still very fresh. I read the books a long time ago so can only remember the basic plot and I loved it. The end did feel a little rushed but bits of LOTR suffered from that too, it's just a pitfall of book to film adaptations. You can never capture everything.

Caporegime
Watched it last night. I thought it was amazing, really loved it.

My friend thought the pacing was too slow but I thought it was fine. It was slow when it needed to and then it had action when it needed to. It was a real cinematic experience and I came away thinking..."this is a real movie!" whatever that means.

Soldato
Watched it last night. I thought it was amazing, really loved it.

My friend thought the pacing was too slow but I thought it was fine. It was slow when it needed to and then it had action when it needed to. It was a real cinematic experience and I came away thinking..."this is a real movie!" whatever that means.
Yeah I'd compare it to watching Gladiator for the first time in the cinema. Genuinely "epic".

Soldato
Unlike the GoT or WoT books there aren't many parallel threads in the Dune books rarely more than 2 or 3 simultaneous stories. So the source material is a bit narrow although very deep. So any screenwriters will need to improvise with a much loved IP just to get the width that a HBO style TV shows deserves imo.

Soldato
I wasn't a massive fan of Part One (don't know why, maybe too slow?) but I thought they nailed Part Two. Everything from the scenery, the world building, the action was absolutely spot on. When I was watching the trailers I thought 99% of them looked absolute trash, I was genuinely groaning about the next couple of years of cinema, but this was a real 'cinematic experience' that restored a bit of faith.

I know a few posters here have mentioned about the pacing but I really didn't have any complaints about that, I thought it was just right.

Austin Butler was really great in his scenes. I thought it was Michael Rosenbaum (Lex from Smallville :D ) at first. They made Florence Pugh look hot AF in the final scenes.

Only minor gripes (major spoilers so don't click if you haven't watched):

- The line "You chose the wrong side!" from Jessica was one of the daftest lines in cinema history. If she's a Harkonnen and so is Paul then she "won" regardless of who became Emperor out of Paul and Feyd-Rautha,
- Related, the Bene Gesserit seem to be on all of the sides in the film and created the 'good' and 'bad' sides (probably missing something from the books that's not explained here),
- Thought Dave Bautista's character was pretty rubbish, a bit too much like Drax,
- Wouldn't Paul have questioned Gurney a bit more initially (before drinking the Waters of Life)? How did he survive the massacre of the rest of House Atreides?

May well go and see it again in the next couple of weeks before Ghostbusters arrives.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just back simply incredible. Was mostly in awe with the cinematography and some fine performances. Ferguson powerful as ever. Bardem brilliant and made me chuckle quite a few times. Was wrecking my head trying to figure out where I’ve seen the guy Bulter from had to look it up. The Shannara Chronicles hah.

Soldato
OP
I wasn't a massive fan of Part One (don't know why, maybe too slow?) but I thought they nailed Part Two. Everything from the scenery, the world building, the action was absolutely spot on. When I was watching the trailers I thought 99% of them looked absolute trash, I was genuinely groaning about the next couple of years of cinema, but this was a real 'cinematic experience' that restored a bit of faith.

I know a few posters here have mentioned about the pacing but I really didn't have any complaints about that, I thought it was just right.

Austin Butler was really great in his scenes. I thought it was Michael Rosenbaum (Lex from Smallville :D ) at first. They made Florence Pugh look hot AF in the final scenes.

Only minor gripes (major spoilers so don't click if you haven't watched):

- The line "You chose the wrong side!" from Jessica was one of the daftest lines in cinema history. If she's a Harkonnen and so is Paul then she "won" regardless of who became Emperor out of Paul and Feyd-Rautha,
- Related, the Bene Gesserit seem to be on all of the sides in the film and created the 'good' and 'bad' sides (probably missing something from the books that's not explained here),
- Thought Dave Bautista's character was pretty rubbish, a bit too much like Drax,
- Wouldn't Paul have questioned Gurney a bit more initially (before drinking the Waters of Life)? How did he survive the massacre of the rest of House Atreides?

May well go and see it again in the next couple of weeks before Ghostbusters arrives.

”There are no sides.”

The Bene Gesserit’s goal was the survival and continuation of the human race. Their failure is that up until the worm’s reign they were just as culpable as the three main powers in the imperium for its 10k year stagnation and inevitable future collapse, failing to understand creating prescient rulers locked in pre-determined futures for all humankind. They could only see in the sandbox they were playing in. It takes Leto II 3000 years to undo this via the Golden Path.

It’s alluded to in the last 2 books but part of Frank’s plan for book 7 was exploring how the BG would rule the Old Empire region with a novel form of governance not yet tried in either real life or in-universe. Alas we never got to see what that was.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unlike the GoT or WoT books there aren't many parallel threads in the Dune books rarely more than 2 or 3 simultaneous stories. So the source material is a bit narrow although very deep. So any screenwriters will need to improvise with a much loved IP just to get the width that a HBO style TV shows deserves imo.

Strange.... I've never read any of the 'World of Tanks' books.
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Soldato
Went last night and throughly enjoyed the film. Amazing on the big screen and my first time at a Cineworld super screen which was good. Think the last time I was at the cinema was the first one.

The pacing was an odd one, was perfectly comfortable with both the slow and fast bits but worked well together if you get what I mean.

Might go back and watch it again otherwise wait for the blueray - I find the sound on the first part difficult on Bluray due to the cinema mix.

Associate
7/10. Good but too slow for me. Only so many sweeping shots over the crest of dunes i can take before zoning out.

Harkonnen Nephew felt so pointless, good 20 minutes building up the character for him to just keel over after a 2 minute fight

Soldato
Absolutely loved it! I'm a huge fan of the first and, whilst this felt like a slow start, the almost 3 hours passed by so fast I didn't even get a numb bum. Visually stunning as always but more impressively is that the cast, direction and writing shows that there's still talent left in Hollywood.

Back
Top Bottom