Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Soldato
Went to see it again today. Oddly, it felt like it went over quicker the second time. Still loved the action scenes, great cinematography.

Man of Honour
I saw this in an IMAX in New York yesterday that’s bigger than the BFI.

Phwoar, the sound and bass! Truly an awesome cinema experience.

As for the film, I loved it. The attention to detail with everything is amazing - really feels like a place that could exist. The cinematography was beautiful too.

It’s a film that you can kind of sit there and enjoyably experience without really having to precisely follow what was going on.

The motives of the mother character were hard to follow and I don’t really understand what made the lead ‘drink’ but it didn’t bother me… in the IMAX.

I’m also not entirely sure why they had to go so close to the spice harvesters when they had those laser guns that seemed to do a good job from afar… but it didn’t really matter :)

… maybe I’ll be a bit more critical watching on a ‘regular screen’… or I’ll be less overwhelmed by the IMAX and it will make more sense!

Great stuff!

Last edited:
Soldato
seen this on a normal screen but with recliner seats (a must for a 3hr film :) )
i loved it, probably better than part 1. the sound was amazing, the scale of the world, performances all of it
i was told to go see it in imax but i think it'll be good at any screen, so don't worry if you've no imax near. but i think it needs to be seen at the big screen at least once

Soldato
Passed $575m for the Global Box Office this weekend which should be enough for any additional money to be profit!

Associate
Saw this at an IMAX last week. Wouldn't have minded if it was 2 hours longer. I remember seeing part one at an IMAX and thought the sound was awful but it was excellent for part two. Looking forward to seeing it again on an OLED screen :)

Only disappointment was there's been no real mention of the weirding way apart from maybe a brief one when Jessica defeated Stilgar in part one.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It's quite rare that two/three films about the same book ended up being really good. (much prefer the ending of the first one)

Soldato
I thought part 2 was just... Meh. The pacing was all over the place, and they put too much focus on Channi. It felt like a teenage love film in parts.

I hate to do this, but in the book, Chani doesn't feel like a main character. She might be noshing off the messiah, but she's never the focus. I don't mind the other changes they made to adapt it for the big screen, but it felt like she was shunted to the front to keep demographics happy.

The other thing that irked me is that they changed the word Jihad to Holy War. I'm assuming to keep our American friends interested. Can't have the hero flying off for the wrong type of Holy War. Minor point really, but seemed unnecessary.

Caporegime
I'll repeat what I said in other thread.

10/10

Visuals, sound, story, acting. All amazing.

Can't remember last 10 /10 film I was

Glad sound track was audible!

And Imax is we worth it

Last edited:
Soldato
Over the years, I've drifted away from these types of movies, not sure why, perhaps a certain amount of predictability crept in and it became too easy to spend time picking holes and rolling eyes, rather than sitting there wide mouthed and enjoying the movie, but...

This one finally made me want to watch more and more, with some fantastic CGI and a really decent storyline and acting.

Associate
One of the best films I have seen in the cinema in years. The sound and music really set the scene for the film. Definitely worth seeing in IMAX or a cinema.wktb a great sound system.

I am hoping to watch it again before it's out of the cinema.

Commissario
Just got back, it was great and didn't fall asleep. Even though it was long it went my quickly.

I actually think what Villeneuve did with Dune and Dune 2 was pretty genius on a couple of levels.
He played the Studios and got the run time needed for the story, rather than getting told "no you've got to cut all of this stuff out", and he got it so that there was a break half way through every time the "complete" dune was shown.

I would happily murder some studio execs* if it meant more 2-3+ hour long films had an intermission, as I'm a great believer that films should be as long as needed to actually tell the story properly (not made to run to some arbitrary time slot that may be too long or far too short**), but at the same time any film over 2 hours in length is causing problems for a fairly large part of the audience in terms of how long you can comfortably sit and enjoy something without any chance to have a break, especially as you get older of if you've got any issues that require you to get up and move (I'm sort of surprised deep vein thrombosis isn't more of an issue ;)).

*Although to be fair, given the way they keep messing around with films it's just another reason to add to the list:)

**I've been watching a bunch of older films and the number of them that are better than I remember, or simply have stuff I don't remember is surprising, and it usually turns out that the reason is because the version I'm watching on disc is the preferred version so for example IIRC Life Force (with an early not quite picard) has something like 30 minutes of background/primary story added back in mainly to the start of the film, or Night Breed which IIRC had something like 15 minutes added back that completely changed the story.

Back
Top Bottom