EK PETG Hard Tubing - Manufacturing Change?

Soldato
I've been using EK 12/16 PETG Hard tube for some years now. Last night I changed some hardware and reconfigured my loop. I opened some new lengths of hard tube I had purchased a little while ago but didn't need then so never used any.

Problems started to arise when I could not get the official EK 12/16 PETG inserts into the tube. I either had to force it with tools (and still could not fully seat it) or it would not go in at all. I also found that getting the tubing into my EK 12/16 hard tube fittings was exceptionally difficult. Even with what felt like my full strength some tubes just refused to fully seat. Lubed or not....rebuilding my loop was an absolute nightmare last night.

I have a seemingly water tight loop at present but I cant keep it pressurised with air or with my Aquacomputer Leakshield which is showing a loss of about 12mbar/second of pressure...so huge. I have a pretty good feeling it's likey the new sections of tube which are not fully seated and probably only just water sealing on the internal o-ring.

In an effort to work out if it was just me or not I took a caliper to an old and new length of tubing. I cannot speak for EK's manufacturing tolerances or QC but there is observable differences.

New Tube
ID - 11.76mm
OD - 15.95
Wall thickness - Between 2.03 and 2.15mm

Old Tube
ID - 11.94mm
OD - 15.87mm
Wall thickness - Between 1.96 and 2.00mm

I could probably spend more time expanding my sample size but suffice to say my anecdotal experience is the 5 lengths of new tube I worked with ALL had issues with inserts and insertion into fittings. My measurements support my findings so far....the old tube has a wider ID (Inserts fit) and a narrower OD (insertion is more reliable).

Soldato
OP
Found the cause of the pressure leak. Upped my pump speed to 100% and exposed an EK Double Rotary Fitting which started dripping immediately. Certainly will be avoiding double rotaries in the future, had been cautious about using them in the first place but they seemed to be ok and at least 1 opther in my system does not appear to be leaking. Clearly a QC/variance issue.

Offending fitting!

AKGpihZyCvY5JaGbHukHKWoNc3JlWZjXxgmh_GwxXavdA8zOS7Bvxx2o-2dX1jQJgrVEj_iUHtd6D25JvZV9q5MKW4I4gxnpWA=s1600

Soldato
OP
They were in the original sealed packaging!

As much as I like the look of hard tubing I think next time I do a hardware change (Likely GPU) I'm going to swap to ZMT

Last edited:
Associate
I'd most definitely use acrylic, PETG has lower heat resistance from what I remember and acrylic is also clearer/more transparent.

Literally no reason to use PETG - either acrylic or ZMT :)

Soldato
OP
My water never goes above 27deg C so I dont need to worry about deformation.

PETG is much easier to work with than acrylic and when the inserts work (!) there is no prep like chamfering and deburring.

Other than the issues which have cropped up this time I cant really complain about PETG.

I think as mentioned though next hardware change Ill go ZMT with a parallel connection from GPU to CPU. The EK Velocity 2 block has annoying port placement for horizontal runs without a distro block.

Excuse the vomit RGB below, hadnt installed an RGB app at that point.

AKGpihZP7eJ-vTI1DR1u47I_POQrwH7xcySD4oMlQqsBY93o1cq4D_W8m-uhEfo92dG8YKxYcVw6_7rFBvRVLEIkTQxCe5fwLw=s1600

Associate
How many rads do you have because 27C is super low and I can only see 3.5 radiators in the roof.

Agree on the prep time on PETG, PETG is also easier to cut.

Do the ports between the CPU and GPU line up OK for the parallel run so it doesn't look crooked?

Soldato
OP
How many rads do you have because 27C is super low and I can only see 3.5 radiators in the roof.

Agree on the prep time on PETG, PETG is also easier to cut.

Do the ports between the CPU and GPU line up OK for the parallel run so it doesn't look crooked?

I have 2 x 480s. Its a 900D case.

Porta dont line up at the moment. Its a Gigabyte manufacturer installed block on a 2080 so ancient. Even with a new card/block I'm bot aure the ports would line up anyway as the CPU ports are stacked vertically.

Back
Top Bottom