Faulty Monitor?

Soldato
Before I RMA my monitor to MSI (I believe I have to pay postage and I don't want them to test it and find it not faulty :o ) ... any suggestions to fix this issue? Or is it a faulty monitor as I believe?

It's a MSI G271 and a few months under the 3 year warranty period. From a google search it seems this monitor/panel has a common issue.

HDMI is fine up to 144hz as far as I can test with my work laptop and PC
Displayport seems fine at 120hz, but I experience flickering and/or lines across the screen at 144hz.
I've only been able to test displayport on my PC as my laptop only has HDMI, but the fault is present at 144hz with both the Ryzen GPU and my AMD GPU. I've tried 2 different cables and both show the same fault.
The fault doesn't seem to always show on the desktop/menus, but shows on eg the steam store page - not sure why this would be? More taxing on the panel somehow?

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

A few days ago half the screen went black and glitched at the top.

More recently, it's displaying as a band of lines. Apologies for the video orientation. Although the videos don't show this, it appears that the bottom isn't always rendering correctly, as I sometimes can't see my cursor moiving if I try to go below the band of lines. It just disappears below the line as though the bit below the lines/band is a static image held in memory.

EDIT - If I change refresh rate and alt-tab to the steam window, this shows the panel rendering issue I mention above.

I'm pretty sure it is a monitor fault, but it being fine over HDMI has thrown me a bit. I thought it was a panel issue, but maybe a PCB/connector issue?

Last edited:
Soldato
My first thought would actually be the cable, however you say you have tried 2 different cables, howeverare they both known good cables ? A lot of DP cables are terrible, however I would expect this sort of behaviour from subpar cables to show up when trying to run a 4K 144Hz display not as 1080P display at that speed which doesn't require nearly so much bandwidth. I still feel like it could be the cable though, even though you have tried 2 and it's only at 1080P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom