Formula E 2022, 2023 and 2024

Soldato
The reason for the overtakes is because they are not pushing, all trying to save battery. If they run out of battery they won’t finish to be disqualified so leads to overtaking. A little different to very other formula where the limiting factor is grip.
The cars are fundamentally different, different aero, different grip, different dimensions. It's not simply the battery.

It's a hugely more enjoyable sport to watch. Reminds me how much I used to enjoy F1 and how utterly sterile it is these days. Given the surge in popularity since the Netflix docu you'd think they would be pulling out all the stops to improve the quality of the racing.

Associate
The cars are fundamentally different, different aero, different grip, different dimensions. It's not simply the battery.

It's a hugely more enjoyable sport to watch. Reminds me how much I used to enjoy F1 and how utterly sterile it is these days. Given the surge in popularity since the Netflix docu you'd think they would be pulling out all the stops to improve the quality of the racing.
I’m not saying it’s not enjoyable, it certainly is. But there is a fundamental difference as to why the cars run much closer. Typical example today. The guy in the lead was driving slower to save battery because the drivers behind benefit from the slipstream which enables them to save battery.

They are not on the limit which means they can run closer and leads to overtaking. Lack of aero also helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I enjoyed the F-E waaaaaaaaaay more than the F1 this weekend, it was actually pretty exciting and at almost no point could you guess who was going to win based on having 'the best' car, driver skill and balls is what is comes down to.

Can't wait for re-charging and tyre changes next season, really going to add another dimension to it.

Soldato
Yes after seeing that yesterday - surely they have to address torturous courses with blind bends in cities -
don't know what the impact speed was ( c4, anyway, don't show speeds like F1 acceleration so great in comparison ?)
but a carbon tub/halo can only be so effective, no one has lost their life in one yet ?

Soldato
seem to be saying it was sunk/raised drain covers that conributed to loss of control, like previous year - probably prep the course less than F1 which use street sections.
(40% of the energy to complete the race coming from regen !)

Not sure what kind of tv audiences they get versus F1, bu the coverage seems fractious and disjoint with cameras&resources they use;
I blinked and missed the electric touring car races - don't know what they can do to improve these formats.

Soldato
Haven't watched Formula E for ages but the London races (last of the season) are live on C4 this weekend so will check it out.

Back
Top Bottom