Forum Nirvana!!! (and a request)

Associate
Who'd have thought there would be a forum that combines both my favourite past-times... Modelling & Computers:D:D:D:D

Anyway...

Returned to the modelling fold back in 2011 after convalescing from an operation, got bored and decided to get back to a hobby that I had enjoyed last over 20+ years ago. Fast forward to today, and I'm after a little bit of advice from the community. I'm currently using an airbrush from Ultimate Modelling Supplies - Ultimate Modelling Apex Airbrush. It's a fairly decent brush, came with a 0.35mm needle, and I also bought a 0.2mm & 0.5mm needles to go with it. The problem I'm having tends to be with spares! If they have them, then it's ok, however, if they don't then they tend not to have them for several months, and this really can cause issues. At the moment I need a "Needle Thread Adjuster Screw", which is a brass screw, with a Teflon bearing to guide the needle. They have (according to the website) 1 in stock, which I have to say, I don't always trust when it's at that quantity, as I've been burnt by other suppliers saying that sort of stock level and transpires, quite often, that they don't have any in at all!!!!

And now to the reason for the post.

Anyone any suggestion or recommendations for a new airbrush? I have a budget of around £130 (with a little leeway in that). But needs to be a double action, with easy availability of spares, and able to acquire at least 0.2 and 0.5 needles. Not too bothered about brand, but I prefer gravity fed rather than suction type brushes.

Many thanks for any help or recommendations given.

JB

Associate
OP
Harder steenbeck, badger and iwata tend to be the go-to brands.
Thanks - I'm already aware of the various brands - there are just so many choices out there, I was hoping for more specific suggestions/recommendations. In addition, suggestions as to where to buy from would be useful as there are not that many that I know of, and the only one I would have gone to (modellingtools.co.uk) have closed their meta-physical doors for the time being. The owner Paul, is a member of my local model club, and I've bought bits & pieces from him over the years, and he knows his stuff. But sadly, he has decided to close up for the moment, to concentrate on other things and his health.

Caporegime
Thanks - I'm already aware of the various brands - there are just so many choices out there, I was hoping for more specific suggestions/recommendations. In addition, suggestions as to where to buy from would be useful as there are not that many that I know of, and the only one I would have gone to (modellingtools.co.uk) have closed their meta-physical doors for the time being. The owner Paul, is a member of my local model club, and I've bought bits & pieces from him over the years, and he knows his stuff. But sadly, he has decided to close up for the moment, to concentrate on other things and his health.

They're the brands that you should be looking at though, they're much of a muchness. In terms of specific brushes it's largely driven by your budget. You tend to get what you pay for with them.

Associate
OP
Choice made - but have to go for a cheaper temp one for the time being until I can afford the better one I've decided to buy!

In the meantime, I'm going to get a brush I've had in the past, and really got on well with AB-180S Dual action gravity feed airbrush, that comes fitted with a 0.2mm needle, and also has a 0.3 & 0.5mm needle in the kit. In the next couple of months, I will then buy (when saved enough!) a H/S Silverline Evolution 2-in-1 that I've been recommended. As this is around the £140 mark, I need to save a little first before making that purchase. The cheaper brush will then be relegated purely to be used for laying down primer.

Back
Top Bottom