Gaining motorway CCTV footage

Soldato
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how I should go about trying to obtain CCTV footage taken of motorways.

And does anyone know how long the footage is kept for before it's deleted?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies guys.

The other party has said that he'd already tried to get hold of the footage shortly after the incident but it was deleted after 7 days.

7 days sounds like quite a short period for the footage to be kept for, so I was just thinking that maybe he had got hold of the footage and it'd shown the car tailgating me... something which would put the scenario in my favour.

I'll give the Highways Agency a ring and see what they say.

Soldato
OP
Well, that's true Simon, but at the moment there's no proof that I was being tailgaited and thus intimidating me to get out of the way.

I mean, I can say that I was, but the driver of the car tailgaiting me isn't exactly going to say he was tailgaiting.

So it could be argued that I changed lanes for no reason, which of course is false.

Soldato
OP
Serj said:
I have no idea what the actual situation is, but from what i gather someones persuing a claim against you, right? Are you in touch with a solicitor or is it just going back and forth between insurance companies at the moment?

Yep and just insurance companies. Although the other party has got his solicitor involved.

Simon, if you mean checking blind spots, I did... twice.

Anyway, I know where you're coming from so let's leave it at that :)

Cheers for the input.

Soldato
OP
Oxbow said:
Hi,

I don't know the ins and outs, but what I can tell you is that under the DP law dealing with CCTV, they only need to keep the data for 7 days. The same reel / tape / storgae is then reset for the 8th day (i.e. Mondays tape overwrites the previous Monday, tuesday overwrites the previous Tuesday, etc, etc)

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to hear. :)

Adam said:
Can't see how you can prove you were being tailgated, do you not have any witnesses? Does he have witnesses to agree with his side of the story?

If you were at fault as result of his actions, but these can't be proved, I would accept blame and learn from it. You need concrete evidence when it comes to insurance companies.

And that's what this thread is all about... my request for video footage to prove I was being tailgated. You've really been enjoying having a go at me these last few days haven't you?

I've asked 3 people to be witnesses, and they've all said they don't want to get involved. I suspect the third party has got several people to act as witnesses (although not independant, it's still going to look bad from my perspective).

MrLOL said:

Cheers for the info, but I'm not claiming for anything. There's no damage to my car. It's the third party claiming off me.

Back
Top Bottom