Gaming desktop replacement feasibility?

Soldato
Eugh, just tried Deep Rock Galactic (pretty performant, fast paced, so a decent test I think) on this (free tier), and almost instant motion sickness due to the slight latency. Don't know if the paid tiers are any better, but that's a non-starter for any FPS games. I'm sure it's fine for 3rd person or strategy, RPG, etc.

Yer, no point in doing the free tier.

Free is really just to test the principle.

You want ultimate with your expectations of experience.

Associate
Eugh, just tried Deep Rock Galactic (pretty performant, fast paced, so a decent test I think) on this (free tier), and almost instant motion sickness due to the slight latency. Don't know if the paid tiers are any better, but that's a non-starter for any FPS games. I'm sure it's fine for 3rd person or strategy, RPG, etc.

You had any further thoughts on what direction to go with on this?

Soldato
As we're on this topic. Would I be right in assuming the current gen of laptops (so 4080-ish) would be starting to have the power of a desktop card in the 3080 range or still a bit to go yet?
Pretty damn happy with my desktop but... there's times a lappy would be better so something of equal power at least is kinda needed.

Associate
I'd consider Sunshine/Moonlight streaming if I'm honest. Seems like the best solution for that 10% of the time you won't be at the desk.

I haven't got the ability to test it myself but, I do stream Xbox from the living room to my laptop in the office upstairs and get really good performance!

Soldato
One more in the same boat.
I kinda want desktop 3080/ti + Ryzen 5800x3d levels of power in a laptop.
I think short of a 4080 I'm probably out of luck (right?)

(essentially, happy enough with my desktop performance in most stuff I play. Just want it in "on the road" format with some better RTX chops).

Last edited:
Soldato
Not so far, going to keep an eye out for any decent deals, and wait for the day passes to become available for the higher tiers of GFN to give it a proper try

Did you ever resolve your conundrum @Haggisman also @Mercutio

Now is a great time to buy as the 2024 laptops are mostly out and some great sales on 2023 with RTX4070/80. Gaming bargain of the moment is the ASUS TUF Gaming A15 15.6" Gaming Laptop (FA507XI-LP013W) - AMD Ryzen 9, RTX 4070, 512 GB SSD @£1249

I've been super impressed with the latest crop of thin and light gaming laptops emerging this year though.

HP Transcend 14/16
Asus Rog Zephyrus G14/G16
Lenovo Legion Slim

Cloud Gaming is still working well for me and GeForce Now is constantly improving too especially it's browser based gaming so no longer needing to download.

I'm only tempted to get a G16 just because...

Anyway, here is the Witcher III on Rtx Ultra settings using GeForce Now Browser gaming mode (8hrs gaming on battery on my Samsung Galaxy Book4 Pro 14)

20240406-092647.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

Now is a great time to buy as the 2024 laptops are mostly out and some great sales on 2023 with RTX4070/80. Gaming bargain of the moment is the ASUS TUF Gaming A15 15.6" Gaming Laptop (FA507XI-LP013W) - AMD Ryzen 9, RTX 4070, 512 GB SSD @£1249

I've been super impressed with the latest crop of thin and light gaming laptops emerging this year though.

HP Transcend 14/16
Lenovo Legion Slim

Cloud Gaming is still working well for me and GeForce Now is constantly improving too especially it's browser based gaming so no longer needing to download.

Anyway, here is the Witcher III on Rtx Ultra settings using GeForce Now Browser gaming mode (8hrs gaming on battery on my Samsung Galaxy Book4 Pro 14)

20240406-092647.jpg

Re GFN, aren't you limited to 1440p 120hz on Ultimate Tier if running through the browser?

Soldato
Yep 1440p on browser but given I'm on a 14" screen with the SGB4P or 13" if using my SP9 using Ultra Rtx settings, I haven't found anything looks poor.

Equally, I do have the pc windows app downloaded but find battery life better on browser when not plugged in.

GFN is worth it just to run X4 Foundations + Expansions smoothly.

Soldato
Yep 1440p on browser but given I'm on a 14" screen with the SGB4P or 13" if using my SP9 using Ultra Rtx settings, I haven't found anything looks poor.

Equally, I do have the pc windows app downloaded but find battery life better on browser when not plugged in.

GFN is worth it just to run X4 Foundations + Expansions smoothly.

I agree that a smaller screen you wouldn't notice much of a difference, but then isn't it worth saving a few £££ and dropping to Priority?

Soldato
Am in a similar position to yourself. 3090, 12700k, 32GB but I play games so little that a laptop that is at least comparable but can plug in here and there would be more beneficial.

Soldato

HP Transcend 14/16
Lenovo Legion Slim

<snip pic>

I'm still looking at the moment. I've kinda come to the conclusion that nothing short of a full wattage 4090 is going to do so... eh, it's watching/waiting for deals.
Not seeing much below £2300 new/£2k 2nd hand so... sitting on my hands a bit atm.

There was a couple of £1900 new deals around in Jan so... that's set my target :)

Determined that whatever I get will equal/beat my current desktop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom