Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

Gangster
Associate
I have just got these headphones and at the price for £150 a recent sale from that rainforest place.

WOW, Amazing, and MIND BLOWING.

I had the Sennheisers HD598's and they were amazing, infact really good ONLY downside was the bass was not punchy or strong enough for my taste in music. The soundstage on the HD598 are amazing, and infact is a tad bigger the the X1's.

However the X1's offer everything the HD598's with a much better bass response. with a tad smaller soundstage. I cannot comment enough on how amazing these headphones sound. If i got them for the full £270 RRP, I would still be happy.

What headpones do you guys enjoy the most? I use my asus phoebes sound card, but might be upgrading soon to a dedicated amp and dac.

Gangster
Associate
OP
Sennheiser HD580 is my everyday cans (if I use them).

If I am lazy and don't want an amp then Sony MDR-7506.

If I am feeling it's something special then I'll get my HD600 out.

So tempted to get the X1 just to see what it sounds like.

Go on headfi, and see the reviews people give the X1's. They are comparing it to the HD600 which cost RRP 400, the X1's at RRP cost 270! As much as I like sennheisers sometimes you are also paying for the name.

Gangster
Associate
OP
If you've not changed the stock cable then that might explain why you found the soundstage slightly narrower than the HD598.

I got the S flex mini cable 3 metres from amazon, cost me bloody 13 quid. I read that the stock cable needs to be replaced so I did, and the soundstage is a tad smaller then the HD598 but still a wide soundstage nonetheless

Gangster
Associate
OP
I love my 598's too but I know from my Beyer DT-1350 facelifts that the bass is not at all accurate, let alone impactful.

I saw these X1s online before xmas and thought they looked stunning, I owned £30 philips IEMs before (gold-series or something like that) and they were really really good.

I am looking for something like my Beyers (absolutely amazing btw) but for desktop use, I wonder if these by Philips are the answer without going into hifiman or Audeze money

philips are amazing up there with Sennheiser IMO, but I read somewhere recently that philips was taken over by a new company cant remember the name but it began with an F, SO if they do decide to release new headphones, I doubt they would be as good as the Fidelio Range.

Gangster
Associate
OP
Thanks chaps.

I'm going to mull this over, but might pull the trigger at some point.

Some absolute bargains in this thread mind. HD595 for < £70, and HD 600's for £120! I paid about £160 for the 598's just under 2 years ago. Although they have been used a lot over that time.

Mate, JUST GET THEM I AM TELLING YA, you will sell your 598's like I did, just wait until they are back at £151 on that rainforest site. To be honest I was going to get the HD700 for £600, however Once I saw the Fidelio at nearly 44 percent off, I just couldn't pass on that deal.

Just order them and return them if you dont like them, BARE IN MIND, replace the cable ! I suggest the S flex mini 3 metre which cost me around 13 quid. The stock one is horrible.

Also a lot of people compare it to the HD600's, which is a definte upgrade to the 598's.

Last edited:
Gangster
Associate
OP
I wouldn't say "smoke", the 598s are excellent but the X1s are comfortably better especially the bass and they feel ten times better for build quality and use of materials. That and you can replace the cable with a normal 3.5mm jack cable whereas on the 598 you cannot (needs to be twist lock ended).

If both were still at the same price then X1 no question.

You got it spot on mate. To be honest the 598's are overpriced, but with sennheiser you are paying for quality AND the name. If Sennheiser sold the X1's I believe they would charge double the asking price philips is asking for.

Phillips was bought by Funai Electric Co. And have also stated that they will release more high end headphones along the lines of the Fidelio X1 range. http://www.newscenter.philips.com/m...ertainment-business-to-funai.wpd#.UtQC755_v7g

TLDR: Buy the Fidelio X1's while you can, before they get discontinued, and bring out a "X2" which more then likely cost a lot MORE for similar peformance!

The Rainforest site has them on sale every now and then, just keep a eye out :)

Gangster
Associate
OP
What one did you get daz?

That's correct!

The stock cable is braided so gels nice but the SFlex is so soft yet still strong and slim profile that you can bend it around virtually anything and it feels like silicone. IMO it feels nicer than the stock cable and the metal ends look and feel really classy!

Good man Got my Sflex Mini Cable with my X1's.

Here is my HD598's, Will post pictures of my X1's soon.

P.S my headphones are connected to my sound card asus phoebus, and set to the middle amp setting (64 ohm to 150ohm)

free image hosting

Gangster
Associate
OP
no tax or customs issues hopefully.

price back up now.

£120...hahaha

oright oright, dont rub it in mate lol. IM happy I got mine for £150, and there are people that are waiting for the X1 to drop via the UK Site.

I did a ton of research on which open back headphones to get and I purchased the HD598's but What I dont get is, these so called "audiophiles" didnt even mention the X1's in the forums I searched in, and philips Fidelio headponhes in general.

Gangster
Associate
OP
I did not expect to get this much response from my thread, I think philips need to send me a check or another pair of X1's :D

Most likely this will be the best headpones made by them, as they have now been taken over by another company. Get it while you can boys!

Back
Top Bottom