Golf Thread

Soldato
Played 9 holes after work last night - went well, shot a 41 (par 35) - finally got my 2 iron back from repair, forgot how easy it was to hit off the tee - a reliable 250 yards down the middle :cool: Still struggling with my 3 wood off the tee, so having the 2 iron as an option is great. Also enquired about lessons, so going to get a couple booked in, make sure I'm getting the fundamentals right and not getting in my own way.

Soldato
Played 9 holes after work last night - went well, shot a 41 (par 35) - finally got my 2 iron back from repair, forgot how easy it was to hit off the tee - a reliable 250 yards down the middle :cool: Still struggling with my 3 wood off the tee, so having the 2 iron as an option is great. Also enquired about lessons, so going to get a couple booked in, make sure I'm getting the fundamentals right and not getting in my own way.

2 iron - 250 ?? :eek:

If I could do that I wouldn't bother carrying any woods in my bag.... That's insane distance. Tour average 3 iron is like 230.....

Soldato
Turns out the greenskeepers were hollow tining the greens today... First one I got to was the 3rd, they started doing it as I tee'd off and as I got to the 3rd hole they were finishing up and moving on.

Freshly tined greens suck. :p

Knockout season is starting though and just got the singles one sorted, so a pairs match (4 ball better ball) on Monday and the singles match on Thursday next week, good times :)

Last edited:
Associate
18 holes last night, much better this time scored 32pts which was decent considering my playing handicap is now 2 shots lower with the WHS changes that came into play in April.

Really good off the tee overall, no doubles, no 3 putts. Approach play was poor though, barely any GIR I'm still adjusting to coming off fairway mats and cautious about busting my arm again (seem to be picking and flipping with the irons to protect my arm). With the lack of GIR there were only 3 up and downs, so as always, loads to work on.

Associate
I had the right hump after last weekend, I was hitting driver really well, but nothing else was working. Handicap has gone up 6 stroked in about 15 months. Still better than working though.

Soldato
That was a tough round!!!

Played at a place called Tracy Park near Bath, on the Crown course which is the 'harder' of the two apparently. In reality not 'that' hard but we play a pretty easy course normally so it felt hard :p

Rough was the worst bit, they've clearly only just started mowing after the wet weather so it's both quite long and very thick still but also covered in the grass cuttings. The second cut was basically as hard/thick as the proper rough at some courses I've played, barely able to get a good hybrid out of it, if you went any further offline (which I did!) even if you found the ball trying anything more than a PW was a recipe for a Bad Time TM.

One of my mates lost 3 balls on one hole!

Think I scored 104 but we couldn't do a proper England Golf scorecard so definitely not a legit one :p Feels like if I played again I should break 100 easily enough, maybe just going there in 2+ weeks once the grass is better managed.

Associate
Back to reality this morning in the weekly roll up. 28pts (11/17) playing off 22. Just could not get the pace of the greens today. It was damp but they were still running pretty quick and I was putting everything 5-6ft past the hole! Nine three putts, admittedly some from long range where you'd expect it but still.... :o could have escaped with a decent round otherwise. Highlights of the round were; making a legit birdie on the short par 4 16th (9i approach got a nice kick off the bank to the side of the green and rolled to within 3ft of the hole); making par on 14, a longish par 4 with a two tier green where my miss hit third short rolled down the fairway to the green, just made it over the ridge and rolled right to the hole side :) The old adage better to be luck than good paying dividends.

Associate
Remembered how to play again after a good session on the range yesterday. Borrowed my pros Sure Set https://www.sure-set.co.uk/product/sure-set/ just had to get that feeling at the back of my top swing. Getting the great feeling of my right hand wanting to overtake the left at impact and the strike is back again! Such a fickle game at times, miss one thing and you're in trouble again.

Soldato
think I might be on to something, does anyone here know if this will help?

I discovered after my last dozen balls that I thought I was holding the club at the butt, but no, I was probably 3/4 to an inch down, when I went to the end I seemed to get better control and a couple more yards..is this a possible factor?

also, got some turf to soften the balls hitting the floor and put a second net up on the back of the impact area.

also - I spray painted a black dot onto the mat as the laser on the device is not good in the sun :( , while messing about I tried the balls I will be using on Course just to "test" them out the slazenger soft v300s and tbh they felt OK when struck well, and the durability seemed to be very good!

Associate
Manged to get out for a round in between (and through) showers, and things weren't going too badly on the way out, but around hole 13 I apparently forgot how to swing a club! No straight shots at all, only shanks that started going in one direction, and just kept going.

Nice to finally start hitting a driver something like it's meant to be hit though - a few pointers in a lesson have made a world of difference, just all about consistency now.

I forget how fast a dry green putts!

Soldato
My local club held it's 'Ryder Cup' today, delayed from last month, so of course to remind us what last month was like it rained this morning :p Thankfully not too bad and stopped around the time we started.

We were out at just after 8, think the 2nd or 3rd group out, format was Greensomes and I was paired with my partner from the Winter Greensomes Knockout against two competition n00bs, although that did mean for the first time ever in a comp I gave away shots, they had 4 shots on us, which was the 1st and 2nd hole 'both times round'.

Because of the rain neither of us bothered warming up at all and it definitely showed on the first couple of holes :cry: They easily won the first hole but I managed to chip in to get a halve on the second which wasrather nice, it's been a while and really was a great chip :)

Got warmed up after that and being familiar with my partner we gelled quite nicely after 9 holes we were 4 up and then won it on the 13th with 7&5, good times.

Although we were on the Blue team and I just found out Red won overall, I had to shoot off before everyone came in for some familt stuff.

Soldato
Well well well something I thought would never happen occurred yesterday. I got my first ever hole in one. Our 9th hole was only playing 90 yards but it's a tricky two tiered green. Steady gap wedge as it was straight into the wind and boom slam dunked it. It went in with a right whack! Colour me ecstatic!
nice one - congrats

Back
Top Bottom