Good Simple Chinese Sauce Recipe For Spare Ribs ?

Caporegime
Well been thinking of doing pork spare ribs chinese style and been looking for a simple recipe for the marinade. anyone got a nice one thats pretty simple ?

Soldato
I'd probably just mix Chinese five spice with cheap supermarket BBQ sauce.

Otherwise Chinese five spice, brown sugar, may some paprika, garlic Powder some mild chilli powder as a dry rub.

Caporegime
OP
I'd probably just mix Chinese five spice with cheap supermarket BBQ sauce.

Otherwise Chinese five spice, brown sugar, may some paprika, garlic Powder some mild chilli powder as a dry rub.
yeah got most of it just want something i know is tried and tested. :D

Caporegime
OP
Not making from scratch here, however the flava it Chinese marinade is excellent imo.

looking for a sauce more than a rub. will look at reviews of it. i see quite a few use this.

Associate
It's quite hard to nail a recommendation for Cantonese takeaway sauces, not least because they can change from shop to shop! I've made it a bit of a project of mine over the past 5 years to try and imitate as many 'simple' cantonese takeaway dishes as possible from home. I've even gotten very friendly with my local over the past year or two and on some occasions they've let me watch the food prep from the doorway of the kitchen to pick up cooking techniques (though usually I use that time to try and spot ingredients they refuse to let me know about when I ask ;P )

Generally speaking almost all of them use a variant of the traditional Char Siu sauce which involves mixing varying amounts of hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, soy, sugar, spices and sometimes bean curd to get that distinct deep red colour (though more often just straight red food coloring is used).

I've tried a lot of pre written recipes as a base for my own that I'm still wokring on and the best by some distance was the one below. It's relatively simple to put together and the finished article is the closest you'll probably get to a home made version without using pork broth as a base.

The Lee Kum Lee jarred variant linked above is very convenient and tastes pretty good. I know for a fact some takeaways use it in place of an in house version, but for me it misses the mark and is nowhere near as good as a homemade version, even a simple one like that I've linked.

Soldato
It's quite hard to nail a recommendation for Cantonese takeaway sauces, not least because they can change from shop to shop! I've made it a bit of a project of mine over the past 5 years to try and imitate as many 'simple' cantonese takeaway dishes as possible from home. I've even gotten very friendly with my local over the past year or two and on some occasions they've let me watch the food prep from the doorway of the kitchen to pick up cooking techniques (though usually I use that time to try and spot ingredients they refuse to let me know about when I ask ;P )

Generally speaking almost all of them use a variant of the traditional Char Siu sauce which involves mixing varying amounts of hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, soy, sugar, spices and sometimes bean curd to get that distinct deep red colour (though more often just straight red food coloring is used).

I've tried a lot of pre written recipes as a base for my own that I'm still wokring on and the best by some distance was the one below. It's relatively simple to put together and the finished article is the closest you'll probably get to a home made version without using pork broth as a base.

The Lee Kum Lee jarred variant linked above is very convenient and tastes pretty good. I know for a fact some takeaways use it in place of an in house version, but for me it misses the mark and is nowhere near as good as a homemade version, even a simple one like that I've linked.
There's nothing Cantonese about anything served up in British takeaways :p

If you just want a sticky Chinese takeaway style marinade, then a mix of honey, five spice, a little chilli oil for heat, soy sauce, garlic,, ginger, bit of rice wine if you've got it, will hit all the familiar flavour notes.

Associate
There's nothing Cantonese about anything served up in British takeaways :p

True, but only in the same way Indian, Tandoori or Turkish Cuisine has been bastardised to suit a broader palate. You'll get specific menu items that are only vaguely inspired by true Canton or Chinese dishes, but depending on what places you go to there can be quite a wide range of items now that more or less represent the dish it originally came from. For every Orange Chicken and Kung Pao you'll get a great Char Siu or Mapo Tofu, depending on the restaurant of course. Hell, one of my locals even does pretty good Congee now!

Soldato
This is what I use..

6B4Mxwf.jpg

Brilliant stuff, and cheap from Amazon.

Soldato
^^ That is pretty much the same as that Flava It stuff I linked above only better value.

I would use these sort of glazes on ribs all day long. They work so well.

Back
Top Bottom