got a third worth bothing with masters?

Soldato
so our son has spent 5 years at uni and got a third

I don't feel its worth while spending more time / money to get a masters, it's not even really a "get a job" degree,

any thoughts on this, or factors that should be taken into account?

to me it seems like the uni has no interest in helping him work towards a career they just want to keep him in paying them cash...

He wants to work in a lab (which seems a bit general to me)

Soldato
OP
Pointless, if he wasn't interested in putting the effort in the first time round he probably won't bother for a masters either.

that was my line of thinking as well, I feel he has treated it like school and done just enough to pass,

but I'd be interested to see what others think

Soldato
OP
What was his degree in?

I only got a 2:2 but a few years later went on to do a masters. I only did it out of interest rather than career progression.

Might be worth getting some real world work experience so that he can get a better idea where he wants to go with it.

it was in biology - evolution and development, though he says he enjoys the subject the UNI don't seem to have any sensible career suggestions (other than working in a lab)... and i'm guessing a third is very low so either he did not try or he is not very good at it.

Soldato
OP
Mind, 5 years does make me think: did the guy do a foundation year + 4 year undergrad masters? If his third year's better than a Third, I'd be tempted to advise to just claim the bog standard BSc with better honours if at all possible. Also if OP's son has a placement year under his belt, which is also possible here, then I'd recommend he gets a good written reference from the place he placed with.

yes there was a year (or 2 ) foundation, but the last year of the 3 year degree was failed and he did it again the next year (so overall not good). - no placement year!!!

the hole thing does seem like a major fail to me, 5 years to get a 3rd.. (not that I know what a 3rd it though from the comments here its a just about pass)... what makes me lean towards the not bothering any more is the 2 highest marks he got were from 2 bits of work I wrote for him (in 2 - 3 hours knowing nothing about the subject).. I did the work because he forgot to do them... (i got 90 and 85% his average i think was 40% overall)

Back
Top Bottom