GPU Side Panel Fans - Push or Pull?

GSS

GSS

Associate
I have a new Coolermaster Gladiator 600 case... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-178-CM&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=29 ...on it's way for my rig upgrade.

I want to use the 120/140mm side fan grills to aid the cooling of my sli'd graphics cards which sit very close together on my Asus P5N-D mobo, the slave card in particular runs approx 10c hotter than the master, which I attribute to it's close proximety with the master card and it's heat/warm air being transferred to slave card.

I'm somewhat confused about mounting the fans?... Push or Pull?... Some manufacturers case specs I've been reseaching suggest pushing cool air in through top/side vents, some suggest pulling heat out :confused: I can see logic in for both methods ie., push more cool air in...internal case/component fans have cooler air to push over their heatsinks to cool them more rapidly. Pull warm air out to reduce overall case temp, giving the fans inside the case a cooler environment to draw air from.

So guys is there a right & wrong method?...Any Do's & Dont's?...Is it better to aim for positive pressure within the case (more air in than exhaust) or is more about personal choice and trial, trying both methods to see which produces the best reduction in GPU temps?

Any advice, tips, recommendations from personal experiance etc., will be a great help...scratching my head over this for to long now :(

Thanks Guys

GSS

GSS

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your replies guys, it looks as though I'll have to experiment with my setup to see if 'push or pull' or indeed neither have any effect at reducing the GPU temps.

It's interesting to hear your experiences and learn there are no absolutes...at least I can't fit them wrong!... :eek: that in most cases side fan cooling has no noticible difference whether fans are attached or not. Me thinks in that case it's the marketing guru's devising new ways & ideas to keep us spending! :rolleyes:

If there is no real performance difference in having none at all or attaching them for 'push or pull', I think it will be better to fit them to push for positive pressure to reduce dust entering the case as I've read this can be a common cause of temp increase in components & I don't want them any hotter!

Got my info about positive pressure from here http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_positive.php?area=usa for anybody that may be interested.

Back
Top Bottom